What's new

Very new Newbie from Australia

Welcome from Houston TX! At some point we may need to do some show and tell on your cars and slot cars. I have similar interests which also makes me the young guy around being from 1982.

from what you have just said i would highly recommend you get a more aggressive razor. You did 4 passes and were not happy with results. If you end up going 'harder' you may increase efficiency a touch but you will also get razor burn, which isnt pleasant.

3 passes should be all you need with maybe touch ups if needed.. apart from the 6C i recommended earlier the Game Changer 0.84 is also a great razor. the SB version is a touch mild for me (but much better than the DE89 in efficiency) but the JAWS/OC versions are perfect (for me)

Hi thanks for the reply. Ive read about the game changer, was thinking maybe a my second purchase after i practice my skills for the next 6-12 mths. Ill definitely consider your thoughts thanks

On a first DE shave I would not expect a very good technique so give it time. Perhaps your blade angle was wrong and this may help; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
You don't want to press hard but try different blades. Pressing hard may lead to razor burn. I am not familiar with Asco blades but try the many Gillettes like Astra SP, GSB, 7 O'Clock SharpEdge, Gillette Platinum, Polsilver SI to name a few.
You do not need a more aggressive razor to overcome bad technique, what you need is to improve your technique. The Muhle R89 has adequate blade gap and exposure and is one of the most cloned razors.

Hi, thanks I prob spent so much time on razors and blades research but not as much research on how to acutally do it correctly. Ill have to check out those links and youtube vids.

My neck was so irritated and sore i couldn't shave today so ill give it another go tomorrow

I vote for watching some of the videos out on YouTube. When I started I was a bloody mess with razor burn and nicks then I watched some videos. It takes time, but if you commit to shaving with a DE razor, the best things besides watching the videos is mapping your beard growth, no pressure when shaving, let the razor do the work and definitely get a sample blade pack. With what you have said, I would suggest sharper blades. The Feather is the sharpest, but can be dangerous until you get your technique down. Many of the shaving retailers will offer blade samples in categories. I have finally settled on Gillette Platinums and Astra SP's which seem to work for me in my collection of vintage and new razors. As mentioned earlier YMMV (Your mileage may vary). Your research is good, but it can confuse you too. I started out with an EJ89 and still can get good shaves with it. I just happen to fall down the rabbit hole searching for the perfect razor partially because of reading posts on this forum, but I have learned a lot. There may be a perfect razor out there, but you don't need to find that yet. Blades make razors preform differently. While the EJ89 may be considered a mild razor, putting a
Gillette Platinum, 7 o'clock black or yellow, Gillette Silver Blue or other sharp blades really do make a difference. Hang in there! You will master it!

Last edited:
Neck irritated and sore? Very common when starting out.

IMHO, don't get a more aggressive razor for awhile. Just get a good, mild razor and sharp blades for it. Then work on technique for at least a few months. Things like doing good prep, getting good lather, understanding your beard pattern, proper shaving angle, not using much pressure, aftershave skin care. When your skills improve, you will be in a better position to know what you want when you go shopping for shaving stuff.

Neck irritated and sore? Very common when starting out.

IMHO, don't get a more aggressive razor for awhile. Just get a good, mild razor and sharp blades for it. Then work on technique for at least a few months. Things like doing good prep, getting good lather, understanding your beard pattern, proper shaving angle, not using much pressure, aftershave skin care. When your skills improve, you will be in a better position to know what you want when you go shopping for shaving stuff.
+1

Thanks for the advice guys.

I watched some videos and had a better second shave with my father in law muhle 89. My first shave was so bad i would rate it a 0.5 / 10, second shave might be around 1.5 / 10. Got a long way to go. I reopened up 2 cuts from my first attempt again.

Im not too bad going down, but really struggle going upwards and to the side. Neck, adams apple and jaw line all problem areas for me.

Big W had the gillette skinguard half price sale so i thought i would get this cartrdige to try in between DE shaving. With the irritation and cuts i don't think I can DE shave everyday at the moment.

Razorock game changer looks good but $110 is a bit pricey for a starting razor. I thought i would still go with the Edwin Jagger but maybe also try the YAQI handle with mild and medium heads ?

Father in law gave me ASCO blades but ill try a good half dozen from vshod

Changing blades will make a world of difference. Many here will tell you that DE shaving is taking off a little bit at a time. Maybe for you at this time you should just do a couple WTG passes. Many still cannot do ATG without irritation. Getting to a DFS and or BBS shave takes time and lots of practice.

Razorock game changer looks good but $110 is a bit pricey for a starting razor. I thought i would still go with the Edwin Jagger but maybe also try the YAQI handle with mild and medium heads ?
Suggest you hold off on any expensive razors for a bit, you don't really need one just now.

If you get the EJ, there's not much point to those Yaqi heads since they are clones of the EJ with slightly different blade gaps. The real EJ is fine and better quality. Or get a Muhle R89 if the price is in the same range (basically similar but a bit nicer).

OTOH, the Yaqi Mellon head (double open comb) is a good daily driver. Nicer than their other heads and a bit different. You might try it as a slightly more aggressive razor to switch off with the EJ.

The yaqi Mellon (doc) is perfect for early stages imo as it's difficult to cut or irritate your skin. Also the doc holds water so it's not as fussy about lather being just right. It won't be super close shave without lots of passes, but I see it as a step towards learning to be able to use a more aggressive razor (if required). I went from the yaqi to a game changer 84 OC. Use it everyday and love it. But if I started with that it would have been very slow progress.

Welcome from Houston TX! At some point we may need to do some show and tell on your cars and slot cars. I have similar interests which also makes me the young guy around being from 1982.

love the slot cars - just built up this pioneer mustang

Attachments

• 20191027_075525.jpg
    20191027_075525.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
I vote for watching some of the videos out on YouTube. When I started I was a bloody mess with razor burn and nicks then I watched some videos. It takes time, but if you commit to shaving with a DE razor, the best things besides watching the videos is mapping your beard growth, no pressure when shaving, let the razor do the work and definitely get a sample blade pack. With what you have said, I would suggest sharper blades. The Feather is the sharpest, but can be dangerous until you get your technique down. Many of the shaving retailers will offer blade samples in categories. I have finally settled on Gillette Platinums and Astra SP's which seem to work for me in my collection of vintage and new razors. As mentioned earlier YMMV (Your mileage may vary). Your research is good, but it can confuse you too. I started out with an EJ89 and still can get good shaves with it. I just happen to fall down the rabbit hole searching for the perfect razor partially because of reading posts on this forum, but I have learned a lot. There may be a perfect razor out there, but you don't need to find that yet. Blades make razors preform differently. While the EJ89 may be considered a mild razor, putting a
Gillette Platinum, 7 o'clock black or yellow, Gillette Silver Blue or other sharp blades really do make a difference. Hang in there! You will master it!

Thanks Bob, Ive got a few different blades to try. Currently using polsiver. Been watching videos and reading. Quite like Kevy shaves on youtube. Am getting better with my shaving now thanks

Suggest you hold off on any expensive razors for a bit, you don't really need one just now.

If you get the EJ, there's not much point to those Yaqi heads since they are clones of the EJ with slightly different blade gaps. The real EJ is fine and better quality. Or get a Muhle R89 if the price is in the same range (basically similar but a bit nicer).

OTOH, the Yaqi Mellon head (double open comb) is a good daily driver. Nicer than their other heads and a bit different. You might try it as a slightly more aggressive razor to switch off with the EJ.

Currently using the YAQI mild melon.
ajkel64 was nice enough to send me Jack the Barber razor and some other products to try so i been using the YAQI and Jack the barber. So far i can get a cleaner shave with the Jack vs the yaqi mild. Not much in it though...

The yaqi Mellon (doc) is perfect for early stages imo as it's difficult to cut or irritate your skin. Also the doc holds water so it's not as fussy about lather being just right. It won't be super close shave without lots of passes, but I see it as a step towards learning to be able to use a more aggressive razor (if required). I went from the yaqi to a game changer 84 OC. Use it everyday and love it. But if I started with that it would have been very slow progress.

Thanks, yep starting with the yaqi and jack the barber. I did see italianbarber has razorock game changer reduced which is very tempting. Bad exchange rate for us here in Australia vs the USD unfort.

Lots of things i want but with a young family have to weigh up the NEED VS WANT...

Thanks, yep starting with the yaqi and jack the barber. I did see italianbarber has razorock game changer reduced which is very tempting. Bad exchange rate for us here in Australia vs the USD unfort.

Lots of things i want but with a young family have to weigh up the NEED VS WANT...

Vshod also does the game changers in aus. But their website is awful to navigate... They had all handle options available, and in terms of price came out similar to OS options.

Top Bottom