What's new

Very Efficient SE's?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I was into SE's years ago, and could never find one that quite worked for me. IIRC, I tried some schick injectors, a cobra original, mongoose original, the Supply v1, and the General.

The supply and general couldn't shave me close enough. The cobra and mongoose could but caused significant irritation.

I have made some significant improvements to my aftershave routine since then, so I am thinking about getting back into it. The problem is that I have a tough beard so I need an efficient razor.

I am thinking abbout the focus R50 and am curious - what other SE's might work well for me?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I really like my Gem razors and Schick injectors. I used a Gem junior Parade 1943 variant this morning and received a excellent shave with it with a Gem Personna SS PTFE (4th) use and it great. It is not overly aggressive but it is efficient and had not much for irritation. Two pass shave with a clean up (WTG+ATG+cleanup) and I was pleasantly surprised by results.
Gem JR Parade Mfg 1943 variant (2).jpg
This might get you in the ball park if you are considering Gem brand razors.
GEM Razor Cluster review 2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

The 1912's are cheap & cheerful too. I think the one I have just now is an Ever Ready as opposed to the usual Gem stamp but does the job wonderfully. Micromatic open comb is a pretty efficient beast too.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I find the Ever Ready 1914 to be a nicely efficient razor; close and smooth (for head shaving...). Modern Gem razors can work -- the PAA Starling V2 OC gives me beautiful shaves and is smoother (for me) than a Gem MicroMatic Open Comb.

AC-format doesn't seem to work well for me for several reasons. It's terrifyingly efficient because I can get a shave AND minor surgery at the same moment. Saves all kinds of time. YMMV.

O.H.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I find the Ever Ready 1914 to be a nicely efficient razor; close and smooth (for head shaving...). Modern Gem razors can work -- the PAA Starling V2 OC gives me beautiful shaves and is smoother (for me) than a Gem MicroMatic Open Comb.

AC-format doesn't seem to work well for me for several reasons. It's terrifyingly efficient because I can get a shave AND minor surgery at the same moment. Saves all kinds of time. YMMV.

O.H.
Thanks very much!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Is anyone able to compare the starling to the focus?

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I think the Focus 50 might be too mild for you. I have used the 48 and like it, but find it mild and I buff quite a bit to get a close shave. It causes ZERO irritation though - very comfortable shaves. I've also used the Supply razor with plate number 2 and find it a lot more efficient than the R48. The R48 can shave as close in most areas but it takes a lot more to get there.

I think I'd look for a Gem Junior

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I think the Focus 50 might be too mild for you. I have used the 48 and like it, but find it mild and I buff quite a bit to get a close shave. It causes ZERO irritation though - very comfortable shaves. I've also used the Supply razor with plate number 2 and find it a lot more efficient than the R48. The R48 can shave as close in most areas but it takes a lot more to get there.

I think I'd look for a Gem Junior
Just what I needed to know I will cross it off my list

If you are going to spend the kind of money you are planning to spend on the R50, then there are other modern SEs that you should consider.

The Above the Tie SEI in stainless steel is very popular. An SE2 version is also available that is more aggressive. I believe the weight of it would be good for your heavy beard.

Top Bottom