What's new

Very bad shave irritation! (Bad aftershave routine/skincare?)

Lots of great advice above and I don't have much else to add.

But I will say, remember to enjoy the journey. You're learning a new skill which might be frustrating now, but once you're proficient, it is a worthwhile endeavor for most. Then the acquisition disorders typically begin.

Lots of great advice above and I don't have much else to add.

But I will say, remember to enjoy the journey. You're learning a new skill which might be frustrating now, but once you're proficient, it is a worthwhile endeavor for most. Then the acquisition disorders typically begin.

Yes! So much great advice! I'm hoping others with similar issues may also learn from this thread.

I already am loving the journey even when I destroyed my face! Very anxious to master DE shaving and try all this advice while branching out into experimenting with different products.

I will make an update post/reply soon, but for now I must say to anyone who may be struggling as well:

- Waited 3 days after destroying my face to shave again (the original pics on this post)

- Looked more into shaving techniques, blade angle and using no pressure. MOST IMPORTANT THING I'VE LEARNED!! By doing this my shave irritation was at least 50% less than my last shave and I still have a lot to learn before mastering it!

- Followed with warm water to rinse off cream. Then cold water splashes. Then witch hazel. Let soak and dry. Then applied Nivea sensitive post shave balm liberally. Applied even more 30 minutes later before bed. My skin was soaking it right up. (I think the balm helped a lot to relieve my irritation due to my lack of skill with the DE. Not sure how I feel about witch hazel. Need to experiment more. Honestly don't know if it helps me at all or if it makes things worse).

Personally I think becoming proficient with blade angle, pressure and technique is the #1 priority. I'm trying not to change my routine much until doing so. Until then, I'm yet to try cold water shaves, or different brand blades, and other products (aside from the Nivea). But I am looking forward to trying those in the future! I want to know what exactly is reducing my irritation before trying something else. And please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far!

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Are any of those bumps ingrown hairs? That's what my ingrowns look like when I get them.

The red bumps are ingrown hairs. The reason you get them is because your hairs grow in all sorts of crazy directions in the lower neck especially the adams apple. You might never ever get them to go away, but the best thing you can do is shave very lightly in that area and shave only once, one pass only and leave it alone. Nobody will notice except you and that might be the hard part to get over. All of that beard mapping in BS in that area. The hairs just grow in every direction- nothing you can do about it- it's your genetics.

Yes! So much great advice! I'm hoping others with similar issues may also learn from this thread.

I already am loving the journey even when I destroyed my face! Very anxious to master DE shaving and try all this advice while branching out into experimenting with different products.

I will make an update post/reply soon, but for now I must say to anyone who may be struggling as well:

- Waited 3 days after destroying my face to shave again (the original pics on this post)

- Looked more into shaving techniques, blade angle and using no pressure. MOST IMPORTANT THING I'VE LEARNED!! By doing this my shave irritation was at least 50% less than my last shave and I still have a lot to learn before mastering it!

- Followed with warm water to rinse off cream. Then cold water splashes. Then witch hazel. Let soak and dry. Then applied Nivea sensitive post shave balm liberally. Applied even more 30 minutes later before bed. My skin was soaking it right up. (I think the balm helped a lot to relieve my irritation due to my lack of skill with the DE. Not sure how I feel about witch hazel. Need to experiment more. Honestly don't know if it helps me at all or if it makes things worse).

Personally I think becoming proficient with blade angle, pressure and technique is the #1 priority. I'm trying not to change my routine much until doing so. Until then, I'm yet to try cold water shaves, or different brand blades, and other products (aside from the Nivea). But I am looking forward to trying those in the future! I want to know what exactly is reducing my irritation before trying something else. And please correct me if I'm wrong!

Any chance of updates? I'm really interested in your progress!

With all above being said, prep is everything. Beard must be free of oils and lotions. Having a good brush, and a synthetic might be good for you. Jack Black Supreme Cream is what I use, and it is a very rich creme with plenty of lubrication for a comfortable shave. With some water in your brush, it will make a boatload of lather. Water is the key with your soap. Too much, and your lather will be thin, with almost no protection. Too little water, and your creme will dry out on your face, and offer no protection. I also have a Parker razor, a 91R, and paired with a Wilkinson blade from Germany, and the Jack Black, a most comfortable, and efficient shave. No nicks, cuts, or irritation...Hope this helps! Also, stay away from the Vokshod blades. They're a little rough for some, as their quality can vary widely from blade to blade. One reason they are so cheap to buy. Try other blades for at least 2 shaves.

Last edited:
Almost all said, but to put it all together:

- Avoid taking shower before shave; Hot water, cleaning your skin too much,etc. will not improve your shave.
- Take your time on prep; Gently prepare your face with warm water (or if you like warm towel).
- For a beginner pre shave creams (proraso pre shave cream white is one of the best) helps a lot.
- Do not use oil as pre shave.
- Face lather (if you are not already doing).
- A sharp blade is crucial; Unfortunately as a beginner you can't go for feather but astra should do.
- Throw the blade after each shave and use a new blade each time.
- Shaving technique; The most important one, but it needs time and patience, you can't do magic. Learn your beard growth, shave just with the grain, avoid any pressure.
- When you are done, rinse your face with lukewarm water then with cold water.
- Do not use alum block or aftershaves with alcohol. Alum and alcohol tighten the pores but they can cause more irritation specially for a sensitive skin.
- Use aftershave balsam like Nivea sensitive.

Wish you good luck.

How are you doing with with your problem irritation? I remember having some minor irritation when I first tried DE shaving. Even with a VDH, I did not have good technique, so my face was a little "warm" when I finished. With practice, and time, you will become proficient in DE shaving. Watch some videos if you haven't already on YouTube. There are plenty on the subject of DE shaving to choose from. Good luck!!

Day 10

Side by side of the old Pro 48 and the new Pro 48. About equal on softness. The 49 is denser and has more backbone. Pretty close overall. Will have to repeat.

Top Bottom