What's new

Very bad shave irritation! (Bad aftershave routine/skincare?)

Lots of great advice above and I don't have much else to add.

But I will say, remember to enjoy the journey. You're learning a new skill which might be frustrating now, but once you're proficient, it is a worthwhile endeavor for most. Then the acquisition disorders typically begin.

Lots of great advice above and I don't have much else to add.

But I will say, remember to enjoy the journey. You're learning a new skill which might be frustrating now, but once you're proficient, it is a worthwhile endeavor for most. Then the acquisition disorders typically begin.

Yes! So much great advice! I'm hoping others with similar issues may also learn from this thread.

I already am loving the journey even when I destroyed my face! Very anxious to master DE shaving and try all this advice while branching out into experimenting with different products.

I will make an update post/reply soon, but for now I must say to anyone who may be struggling as well:

- Waited 3 days after destroying my face to shave again (the original pics on this post)

- Looked more into shaving techniques, blade angle and using no pressure. MOST IMPORTANT THING I'VE LEARNED!! By doing this my shave irritation was at least 50% less than my last shave and I still have a lot to learn before mastering it!

- Followed with warm water to rinse off cream. Then cold water splashes. Then witch hazel. Let soak and dry. Then applied Nivea sensitive post shave balm liberally. Applied even more 30 minutes later before bed. My skin was soaking it right up. (I think the balm helped a lot to relieve my irritation due to my lack of skill with the DE. Not sure how I feel about witch hazel. Need to experiment more. Honestly don't know if it helps me at all or if it makes things worse).

Personally I think becoming proficient with blade angle, pressure and technique is the #1 priority. I'm trying not to change my routine much until doing so. Until then, I'm yet to try cold water shaves, or different brand blades, and other products (aside from the Nivea). But I am looking forward to trying those in the future! I want to know what exactly is reducing my irritation before trying something else. And please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thank you to everyone who has helped me so far!

The red bumps are ingrown hairs. The reason you get them is because your hairs grow in all sorts of crazy directions in the lower neck especially the adams apple. You might never ever get them to go away, but the best thing you can do is shave very lightly in that area and shave only once, one pass only and leave it alone. Nobody will notice except you and that might be the hard part to get over. All of that beard mapping in BS in that area. The hairs just grow in every direction- nothing you can do about it- it's your genetics.

Top Bottom