What's new

Vendor "house brand" synthetic brushes all the same?

Most of the known shaving supply vendors offer their own branded synthetic brushes, most often originating from China.

Are all the knots all sourced from the same place?

Muehle claim to manufacture all of their brush heads as well as handles in their own factory.

7F2E0D51-3083-4E4A-B373-06B5AB44CD63.png

Most of the known shaving supply vendors offer their own branded synthetic brushes, most often originating from China.

Are all the knots all sourced from the same place?

It is highly likely.
In retail they are called SMUs (Special Make Ups).
I bought one of the popular Tuxedo synthetics and it lathers pretty well.
But it is likely to be the same knot stuffed in a handle branded for the vendor.
This practice exists in clothing, sporting goods, tools, and many other lines of merchandise.
IMHO this is a major reason for the signal to noise problem in the discussion of synthetic brushes.
It seems that the quality and legitimate improvements get lost in the proliferation of inexpensive and look alike knots.
Looks and price can be deceiving and only experience will prove the value of the purchase. (YMMV!)
Speaking only or myself, I'm saving foe a Duke or Colonel.

Handle, knot loft and depth can result in differences, but yeah, expect Acme's $15 tuxedo to be the same or similar to ABC's. Higher end brushes, another story.

A few years ago all the talk here was Plissoft Plissoft Plissoft Plissoft Plissoft Plissoft then it was Tuxedo Tuxedo Tuxedo Tuxedo Tuxedo and now it's Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi Yaqi :a13:

Too bad there is no way to know which manufacturer made which knots.

Top Bottom