What's new

Veggie Tabac

I have been interested in trying veggie Tabac. Every vendor I look at seems to show tallow in the ingredients. Anyone know what vendors sell the new veggie Tabac, preferably the stick?

As I gradually move through the rest of my supply of tallow Tabac, which I never hoarded, every now and then I check back here. The general consensus about vegan Tabac seems to be gradually shifting from disaster/tragedy to not bad to maybe even better than the original. Too funny. I think the original is a classic, the Beatles used it before performances, for pete's sake, and never underestimate the power of you don't know what you've got till it's gone nostalgia, especially if the new version doesn't smell the same, or reasonably close. But I look forward to trying the new one.

When I checked Amazon, all the sellers showed the old tallow ingredients list. I didn't feel like asking a bunch of them what formula they had, and I knew it would be quicker to ask here.
I'm looking forward to trying the new formula.

Is there some reason that prices for it are through the roof? It seems to me it used to cost around 11-15, but now it's just as expensive to get a refill puck as it is to get the one with the ceramic tub thrown in too. I will get the new stuff once my old one runs out, but I really hope that smell is still the same.

Smallflower has the stick in the veggie version. I don’t think they’ve updated their description yet though because they’re still listing the tallow version

Ugh, I have 3 new refill pucks and a new, unopened shave stick, and a shave stick with one shave on it, that I'd sell. Tabac was my grail, but the new formula lights my face up pretty good :-(

Ugh, I have 3 new refill pucks and a new, unopened shave stick, and a shave stick with one shave on it, that I'd sell. Tabac was my grail, but the new formula lights my face up pretty good :-(
Well, that isn't good news. I just bought a bar of vegan Tabac bath soap. I've never tried that before. We'll see. So far, lavender is the only thing I've tried that lights my face up.

Take my experience with a grain of salt, I tried lots of soaps and there were only a few that agree with my skin, fortunately Tabac *was* one of them. I have a couple pucks of MWF that I can use as that agrees with my skin. Tabac was my grail, though :-(

Well, that isn't good news. I just bought a bar of vegan Tabac bath soap. I've never tried that before. We'll see. So far, lavender is the only thing I've tried that lights my face up.

Is there some reason that prices for it are through the roof? It seems to me it used to cost around 11-15, but now it's just as expensive to get a refill puck as it is to get the one with the ceramic tub thrown in too. I will get the new stuff once my old one runs out, but I really hope that smell is still the same.
You can get a good price from vendors in the UK & Europe. Connaught Shaving in the UK has new Tabac refills for about $7. You have to pay shipping unless you make a large order, but buy a few pucks or other things and you still can save money over inflated U.S. prices.

Take my experience with a grain of salt, I tried lots of soaps and there were only a few that agree with my skin, fortunately Tabac *was* one of them. I have a couple pucks of MWF that I can use as that agrees with my skin. Tabac was my grail, though :-(
Yes of course, we are all different. Tabac is / was very good, but not my grail. Like many other traditional tallow shaving soaps, it doesn't rinse off my face or brush immediately and entirely. I suspect it is designed to leave a slightly scented residue behind. Not bad, pleasant in fact, classy even, but overall I prefer that shave soap rinse off completely, even if that is the minority opinion here. Good luck with your search for other Tabac-style soaps.

My order came in. I got a puck of veggie, a stick veggie refill and a full shave stick with container, which was the old version.
I grated the tallow half puck, the new tallow stick and another tallow stick with about 2 dozen shaves together into one container. For the last two shaves I used rhe new veggie stick. Seems very hard. The shaves seemed fine, and honestly, I don't detect much difference other than the scent.

One thing I've wondered about the new formula that I have yet to see anyone report on... in it's first month or two of use does the new stuff grow like the slowest growing bowl monster? There was something fun and exciting to see what the Tabac was doing from day to day. Not unlike sea monkeys or crystal growing sets.

It probably comes across a bit silly but I really did enjoy seeing the soap grow as it took on water and would slowly... very slowly act like it planed an escape. Even lifting the lid at times. All you have to subdue the soapy monter is a floppy wet brush which gives it water allowing it to grow again.

Just wondering if anyone whoes tried both and knows what I'm talking about can comment.

Thanks

Having used tallow Tabac more than any other soap, I was devastated to hear of the reformulation. Nearly all vendors selling Tabac now sell the vegan stock, even if their ingredients list tallow they're probably mistaken. The only people still selling tallow will usually specify and list *tallow* in the title or description. I ordered from many places and returned any vegan pucks I got. Eventually though, I decided to keep one to compare. I tried to be purely objective, and even hopeful, but I don't think the vegan is anywhere near as good. It's still just fine as a soap if I wasn't comparing it to the tallow, but if I said the performance was similar between both formulas I would be lying. The smell is stronger seemingly in the vegan formula, but it's also not quite the same. I wish the tallow version's scent WAS stronger, but I prefer the scent of the old formula. I can very easily tell them apart by nose when blindfolded.

I am curious as hell too. Still have a tallow puck to finish (takes ages). Then the new vegan puck will come out of the cabinet. I do hear good things about it too, so looking forward to giving it a try.

Top Bottom