What's new

Vegetarians

I am...I started cutting back meat for dietary reasons and now I can't imagine going back. I guess I've seen too many movies -like Food Inc- that show just how the food/meat industry's gone back to sinclaire's the jungle. :frown:

I was born that way, but became an omnivore when I was around 13. (27 now)
My parents and sister are still vegetarian (ovo-lacto), and I regularly use meat substitutes still in my day to day diet.
I'd call myself a vegetarian sympathizer... :p (Except for militant vegans, y'alls are crazy - but I respect those of you who do it properly and maintain good balanced nutrition, too many young people decide to "go vegan" without proper research and end up totally screwing themselves up.)

Not to hijack the thread but I heard someone say the funniest thing the other day in a restaurant while dining with a vegetarian companion...

"Salad isn't food...salad is what food eats."

Vegetarian for 10 years. My son, age 8, has never had meat. It's one of the better decisions I've made.

Mostly vegitarian, since mid 70's. No real good reason, mostly habit now. Started as an experiment.

I do eat fish, and eggs so probably get way more protein than I need.

I will eat most anything depending on circumstances. For example, a while back I took my elderly parents to a Hungarian restaurant because they like that kind of food and don't get out much (big production with walker and wheelchair).

Well, we got to the restaurant and it was closed! The lady that owns the place happened to be there doing bookkeeping or something, saw us standing around outside mulling over what to do next, heard our story and opened up just for us! Who was I to complain if there were only two dishes available: chicken and beef. The chicken was very good, as were the wine, the salad, the potatoes, the asparagus and the desert pastry!

Another example: a doctor had me on a pork-only diet for a while trying to track down an allergy.

Last edited:
sorry to be pedantic but you're not a strict vegetarian if you eat fish -- you're a Pescetarian.

whew, had to get that out of my system. my coworker always refers to himself as a vegetarian but I know he eats fish. kinda irks me when he says that.

I was at a mexican supermarket the other day and they had bags and bags and bags of dehydrated soy-based ground beef substitute, and it was super-cheap.

About the last place I would have thought to look for genuine faux meat, but there it was.

Vegetarian since '91.

Top Bottom