What's new

Vegetarian shave soaps

Today I broke out a puck of Men's Soap Company bay rum I melted into an empty D.R. Harris wood bowl last fall and hadn't touched in months due to my discovery of artisan soaps. It's scent strength is a fail but performance wise it is significantly better than the 2 tubs of Stirling, Viking and PdP I've currently been using. A hard shake of the brush to remove a goodly amount of water and a 30 count load resulted in a super rich lather with more than enough for 3 full passes. The shave was truly transcendent and the only component that was altered was the soap. This was the 3rd day in a row shaving on a 3 shave GSB blade with zero irritation and not a speck of rash marks. For under $10 for a 4oz puck you would be hard pressed to find a better performing soap. Again, if scent is a major factor in your shaving routine then you should definitely pass on this. And of course the obligatory YMMV as wiser words have never been written.
PS.. I was planning on another soap purchase of an elite artisan soap to baseline against Stirling but today's shave snapped me out of that rabbit hole in a big way. I may end up trying a tin of SV eventually to see how Men's SC holds up to that but other than that my holy grail shave soap has been found.

Last edited:
Whatever do you mean, vegan?
They make a sheep's milk soap, famous for it, in fact.

Basically, there are ‘tallow’ based and ‘non-tallow’ soap bases. Haslinger’s changed their base to go non-tallow. Their new schafmilch (sheep’s milk) soap is good but not as good as the older base IMO. Fortunately, I stocked up on their tallow soaps when I heard the rumors of a change!! :a29:

Basically, there are ‘tallow’ based and ‘non-tallow’ soap bases. Haslinger’s changed their base to go non-tallow. Their new schafmilch (sheep’s milk) soap is good but not as good as the older base IMO. Fortunately, I stocked up on their tallow soaps when I heard the rumors of a change!! :a29:
Thanks for the clarification. How long ago was this change to a vegetal base at Haslinger's? Might one discern this from style of packaging?

Thanks for the clarification. How long ago was this change to a vegetal base at Haslinger's? Might one discern this from style of packaging?

Nearly a couple of years ago now. There are still a few in the wild if you happen to get old stock from a vendor, but for the most part they are long gone. The packaging is the same, only the ingredient list is different.

Top Bottom