What's new

Vegetarian shave soaps

Are they? I didn't know that. My metal shave soap containers are aluminum except for Mike's (older container, now plastic), which I believe is tin plated steel

you are mostly accurate, lids are largely aluminum.
i repotted many of my loose soaps to tin containers.
older soaps with metal containers were tin.

My thoughts are that choosing tin over plastic might not be a choice that’s environmentally better. I personally have no preference. But consider this:

For instance, tin is created by first mining the earth, potentially using strip mining which is terrible for the land and ecosystem. Massive machinery using lots of diesel fuel.

Second, the metal is created using blast furnaces powered potentially by either coal or electricity derived from coal.

Plastic of course comes from oil which you could argue has less of a footprint to “extract”.

My point is this: both are recyclable. Plastic waste is a huge problem. But by recycling it you’re not necessarily adding to the problem. Besides, you’re likely able to reuse the plastic container with new soap pucks many times over compared to tin which will rust on you eventually (or quickly).

Mark me down under Saponificio Varesino. Hands down best vegan soap I’ve tried so far. Matches or beats out a lot of tallow based artisan soaps as well.

Unfortunately, some of the plastic containers for the soaps I have are not recyclable, at least not where I live. I have started to avoid products with disposable plastics. The beach near me is littered with it.

Isn’t MdC “accidentally vegan” lol? Glass and a little tin or alum lid.

proxy.php

Their soap is vegan, but the containers are no longer glass. PET now I believe.
What’s PET? I just got in a tub a couple three weeks ago and it’s definitely glass.

EDIT: I just went to the den to check and I’M TOTALLY MISTAKEN. Sorry. You’re right. I mean I still don’t know what PET is, but the container is definitely not glass. Looks good though.

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
What’s PET? I just got in a tub a couple three weeks ago and it’s definitely glass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate

Hmmmm... Perhaps you got an old stock soap in the glass container? MdC switched from glass to plastic containers 2-3 years ago. All of my MdC shave soaps are in plastic containers. My last order was about a year ago so it's possible that they switched back to glass recently, but I've heard no such news.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Nope. You were right. Sorry man.

Actually, looking at your pic, you definitely have a PET container, with the waterproof label as well.

Their containers are very thick & high quality, several owners have mistaken them for glass.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
L'Occitane shave soap pucks are vegan. They make a nice aluminum dish with lid, available separately.

Dr Jon's is a fantastic performer and the scents are great too. Comes in a tin. Criminally underrated.

Provence Sante Green Tea is a top performer with a great scent and comes wrapped in cellophane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

SV 4.3 is great stuff. Used it today. A puck produces high quality lather with such minimal effort.

Our municipal garbage pickup requires sorting into three colour-coded bags.
Green for organics, blue for recyclables, and clear for other non-hazardous waste.

For plastics, we have to look for the number in a triangle symbol, because types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 go in blue bags, 6 goes in the clear bags.
proxy.php

In addition, there's a surcharge for juice, water, and soda bottle (#1), but we can get a refund for them at a depot.

There have already been some great suggestions. Here are a few more:
- Klar Seifen
- Eufros/Jabonman (some are vegetal)
- La Savonniere du Moulin
- Le Pere Lucien
- Baume.be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom