What's new

Vegan Tabac vs SV and MdC?

is the scent on the vegan tabac the exact same as the tallow tabac? how does vegan tabac compare to tallow tabac?
The scent is similar, but less pungent, if you will. I don't like the smell of either product, but to me the vegan one smells a little bit better.

I did a full blinded comparison of the two products side by side and posted an extensive review. You could find it with a search, I'm sure. Still, even that is just one man's opinion, and apparently some other people who have tried both like them equally or even think the vegan version is better.

For me, the TL;DR version is that the tallow Tabac produced a richer lather that was creamier and had equal glide and better cushion. It was quicker to a good lather, too. For ME, it was better than the vegan Tabac is every single way except for the scent. I dislike the scent of the vegan Tabac, but I preferred it to the scent of the tallow version.

For me MdC is better than vegan Tabac. Can not compare it to SV, as I stopped using that (too much scent for me).

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
For the price Tabac punches way above its weight and is certainly worth buying, however not everyone gets on with the scent and I for one find it reminds me of the smell of my mother's handbag when I was a kid. Better, for me are SV followed by MdC, they both produce excellent lathers and are incredibly slick. I would lean towards SV, but it's a wafer thin margin between that and MdC and although I have no proof myself I think MdC will give better value for money.
As with everything in shaving are SV and MdC worth the extra money...to me, at this moment, yes though it is up to you to decide if that is the case for you.

Hey all! I'm new here so hope I picked the right place to ask this rather than start a new thread.

I just received a Tabac shave soap with the covered dish. I was hoping for old version but expecting the new (wasn't it over a year since they changed?) I was also half expecting the scent to make me cringe from reviews but not nearly as strong or annoying as I feared. It does remind me of mom's and grandma's handbag back in the 50's when I was a kid :001_huh:. The ingredients list on box says potassium tallowate and sodium tollowate so does that mean I scored the original non-vegan version?
1669239947406.png

I picked up a tube of Tabac cream to try it and found it very nice. Great lather, great shave, nice scent, and very good price/value. I will definitely keep it in my rotation.

...but for me, MdC is king. Very good lather qualities and smells terrific (I have Agrumes, Fougere, and Rose). Yes, it costs a lot, but I have found that I can use much less product and still get a bowl full of lather. Used in a rotation of other soaps/creams it feels like a jar of MdC will last forever.

Hey all! I'm new here so hope I picked the right place to ask this rather than start a new thread.

I just received a Tabac shave soap with the covered dish. I was hoping for old version but expecting the new (wasn't it over a year since they changed?) I was also half expecting the scent to make me cringe from reviews but not nearly as strong or annoying as I feared. It does remind me of mom's and grandma's handbag back in the 50's when I was a kid :001_huh:. The ingredients list on box says potassium tallowate and sodium tollowate so does that mean I scored the original non-vegan version?
View attachment 1561299
That is the older tallow formula. Enjoy it, don't worry, the scent is strong at first, but mellows out after awhile! After it is lathered, the scent is even less. Performance is great.

I really like SV and MdC but vegan Tabac kicks their butts when it comes to slickness and cushion. Maybe I got an old puck with new packaging. I’ve never tried the old version so I guess I won’t know until I buy another puck but, at the rate this stuff lasts that’ll be awhile. YMMV of course.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
MdC is my favorite, but I'm a scuttle user and the SV doesn't do well in the heat. The SV is fabulous. It's well over twice the price of MdC in use, but it's so good it's worth the splurge.

Tabac doesn't pass my scent test, but that's obviously a ymmv thing.

I've tried a few sv soaps and they are excellent, however, mdc is now my soap of choice . Fab in every way and no soap residue , water in sink seems almost clear. No wonder my skin is left wonderful.
Tabac is OK, but not in the same league,

Top Bottom