Noxzema's Shaving for Sensitive Skin & Shaving with Aloe & Lanolin
Old Spice Moisturizing shaving cream original
6 – in – 1 Jason Beard and Skin Therapy Shaving Lotion
Jason Shaving Lotion
Lucky Tiger Organics Shaving Lotion Moisturizing Shaving Cream
Moisturizing Shaving Cream by Earth Science
Creamy Shave Gel by Nature's Gate
Earth Science Azulene Shaving Creme
Any the of Herbal Cowboy products. I haven't used most of these products nor can I vouch for their awesomeness. This info was taken from vegetarian-restaurants.net.

And for that aftershave? Aftershave for Men by Honeybee Gardens, Jason After-Shave, and Earth Science After Shave. They don't use any bee products in their stuff (even if they are named Honeybee Gardens) but I'm sure bees were used in the pollen moving so he may be offended by that. He could also just use witch hazel and vegetable glycerine. I normally use that and works wonders.

Burt's Bees for Men is all natural, even their packaging is made from recycled materials. And its good stuff. I've been using it a lot lately, especially the bar soap. Makes rich, creamy lather, and it smells great.

Your friend's choices for a brush are limited. Synthetic is the only way to go if he's Vegan. The Body Shop makes a decent one for about $11. Jack Black has an $85 synthetic brush which looks very luxurious.

You mentioned the work "kosher" in your OP. If you mean "(K)OSHER" ... that's a whole new ballgame. The differences are subtle, but very important. Vegan products are not necessarily (K)osher, and vice-versa.

Speick products, with the exception of the shave stick and soap, do appear to be vegan. The shave stick and bar soap contain tallow. My last bar/shave stick did, anyway. Their cream is superior to the soap anyway, which is what I use.

It looks like our confusion comes as a result of Speick changing the formulation and doing away with tallow. SlagleRock alerted me to this in the Speick thread.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! I'll definitely tell him to pick up some Spiek. I'm pretty sure he already picked up the Body Shop brush - we'll see how long that lasts him before he's afflicted with various ADs.

And dpm - I meant "kosher" in general terms, not the "we answer to a higher calling" meaning!

I think Tom's of Maine is vegan and also easily obtainable at Whole Foods and the web but, I could be mistaken.

I think Tom's of Maine is vegan and also easily obtainable at Whole Foods and the web but, I could be mistaken.

Tom's of Maine is no longer making shaving cream. Any you see in stores or on-line is remaining stock - I'm not sure how "easily obtainable" it is anymore. There was a thread or two on this several months ago.

It looks like our confusion comes as a result of Speick changing the formulation and doing away with tallow. SlagleRock alerted me to this in the Speick thread.
The websites that carry it and list ingredients still list tallow, tho it sounds like they are moving away from it, according to the link you list. Personally, I think it will still be a great product sans tallow.

I just bought some of the bar soap and tallow is still in the list of ingredients. Old stocks perhaps.

I use the Herban Cowboy Carrot and Cucumber aftershave, and I like it.

It is extremely moisturizing - so you only need a pea size portion, but it works pretty well.

I have heard that their shaving soap is pretty lame though.

I use Thayer's Lavender Witchhazel, and follow it with the Herban Cowboy.

I wish the scent stuck around more, but that is just my preference.

I guess if you're vegan, a badger, or even a boar, brush is out of the question. Synthetic baybee! Does your friend not wear leather shoes? Synthetic shoes make your feet stinky!

Burt's Bees for Men is all natural, even their packaging is made from recycled materials.

I'm not sure if the Burt's Bees Men line contains beeswax or not. If it does, hardcore vegans won't use it, because beeswax is, technically speaking, an animal product.

Would it be bad taste to give him a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat, just to see his reaction? Then you can laugh, tell him it's really for you, and hand him the Speick.

SPEICK shaving cream contains bees wax (but the rest of the formulation is vegan) and Burts Bee should contains bee products (because of the company history).

SPEICK shaving cream contains bees wax (but the rest of the formulation is vegan).

If that's true, then Speick is technically not vegan, not in the strictest sense, at least. I used to work at a vegan restaurant (I'm not vegan, but tips are tips), and we didn't serve honey for that very reason: since it was produced by animals and their labor, it was off limits. Beeswax would fit the same description. Vegans can be very touchy about this sort of thing. Once at the restaurant, it was discovered that one of the tortillas used in a burrito contained a tiny amount of whey. It was just a trace of animal product in an otherwise totally vegan meal, but one of the waitresses - herself a totally hardcore vegan - quit because of it. The thought that she had aided and abetted causing untold numbers of unsuspecting vegans to consume a trace of a milk product was more than she could bear, so she split. So yeah, if Speick contains beeswax, and the OP's friend is truly hardcore in his veganism, it might not be such a good match.

If that's true, then Speick is technically not vegan, not in the strictest sense, at least. I used to work at a vegan restaurant (I'm not vegan, but tips are tips), and we didn't serve honey for that very reason: since it was produced by animals and their labor, it was off limits.

My understanding of the honey problem is the same as the wool problem (and silk for that matter)--not a matter of labor but the fact that cruelty is involved. In the case of honey, any bees that are stinging when the honey is collected are going to die, and there may also be some casualties with the collection process itself. But maybe I'm wrong and it is that their labor is being stolen.

My understanding of the honey problem is the same as the wool problem (and silk for that matter)--not a matter of labor but the fact that cruelty is involved. In the case of honey, any bees that are stinging when the honey is collected are going to die, and there may also be some casualties with the collection process itself. But maybe I'm wrong and it is that their labor is being stolen.

Could be both. Various vegans may have varying philosophies. I know some see using animal labor for human benefit as a cruel act in and of itself, insofar as they believe animals have a right to live their lives for their own benefit. But the deaths of bees caused by honey collection can certainly be a reason all its own.

I haven't tried the shaving creams specifically, but I have used the Tabac after-shave splash this person sells and says is vegan.

Evidently that's not the original Tabac, but is something she makes herself. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if using the Tabac name is some sort of trademark violation. Perhaps not, if the trademark is only good in Europe. Thanks for the link. I'll check out her other stuff, too.

Top Bottom