What's new

Vegan shaving creams? Proraso?

I'm in the process of converting my friend to shaving with a DE, mug, & brush. The only problem is that he's a vegan and pretty neurotic about it. Does anybody have a list of confirmed vegan creams? Or namely just Proraso green? (I've got a couple of extra tubes of that lying around and would hand one over if it's kosher just to get him started)

Thanks.

I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure if they are strictly "vegan" (no animal testing and organic doesn't always mean vegan, I guess your friend might have to do a little foot work) but I'll second the Kiss My Face line. They are great performing creams no matter what your view on food, I mean animals:wink:

Kiss My Face is probably your best bet but you could also wander into a nearby Whole Foods Market and find a couple more brands. There is one on the tip of my tongue...ah I remember it--Alba. They are vegetarian but not necessarily vegan.

I have to admit that I'm not 100% sure if they are strictly "vegan" (no animal testing and organic doesn't always mean vegan, I guess your friend might have to do a little foot work) but I'll second the Kiss My Face line. They are great performing creams no matter what your view on food, I mean animals:wink:

After reading more on their page, I see that you may be right.
They state that their products are vegan.

In their letter of varification; The percentage of certified organic ingredients in the shave cream is 70%.

After reading more on their page, I see that you may be right.
They state that their products are vegan.

In their letter of varification; The percentage of certified organic ingredients in the shave cream is 70%.

Joachim, I have to admit I didn't check out the link to Organic Grooming. My post was only in reference to the Kiss My Face products. I didn't find on the KMF site where they make any vegan claims, so I don't want to tell someone that they are. I've known some very strict vegans, and I know it would hurt them to use something that ended up not conforming to their lifestyle.
Sorry for any confusion:redface:

What is the requirement for a product to be vegan?

No animal products and no animal testing. Other than that I wasn't aware there were any other requirements :shock:.

I had a friend who would go to great lengths to ensure that there weren't even any working animals at any time in the process of farming fruits and vegetables she ate. I don't know if others adhere to such strict limits, but she wouldn't call them "true vegan":rolleyes:

Lavera shaving cream from Germany claims to be a 'plant derived soap from a coconut oil base', and is very keen to mention on the packaging which products are obtained from certified organic agriculture. Most importantly, the glycerin is explicitly mentioned to be herbal instead of animalistic in origin (which is not always the case). It is a pretty good shaving cream too, albeit a bit too oily for my tastes. But good nonetheless.

There's one but: it contains lanolin, but you'd have to be a stark raving lunatic to toss the cream based on that---sheep wool (from which it is obtained) can hardly be called a problematic source. (Although if a previous message is to be believed, such lunatics do indeed exist.)

There's one but: it contains lanolin, but you'd have to be a stark raving lunatic to toss the cream based on that---sheep wool (from which it is obtained) can hardly be called a problematic source. (Although if a previous message is to be believed, such lunatics do indeed exist.)

Many vegans do take issue with the use of wool products, so for some lanolin would be a problem.

In addition to my post above, I just popped into whole foods and saw that Weleda, Avalon Organics, Nature's Gate, Albrey, Depth and depth are all at least vegetarian. Waleda has goat's milk; Depth has lanolin, etc. etc. One of them explicitly said vegan, I think perhaps Nature's Gate.

I don't know for sure about vegan, but Speick products do very well in natural and green evaluations. This link

http://hcferris.wordpress.com/2009/...ave-and-after-shave-nurturenature-best-picks/

indicates they are "vegan" and "all-natural," but they do not link to any certification or 3rd party statement other than this comment:

"Speick Shaving Cream received the highest rating by the German Oko-Test magazine, a consumer magazine which rates natural products in non-biased, rigorous tests."

I had no idea Speick is vegan. I use the stuff, too.
Speick products, with the exception of the shave stick and soap, do appear to be vegan. The shave stick and bar soap contain tallow. My last bar/shave stick did, anyway. Their cream is superior to the soap anyway, which is what I use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom