What's new

Vegan Booze

My wife has a friend who has become a vegan. Today, she told my wife that some wines, beer, and liquor contain animal products. I thought she was crazy so I checked. I found out what she said was true.

Brewmasters, winemakers, and distillers may include animal ingredients in their products directly, or they might use them in the processing and filtration.

When making the product, dairy, honey, and other things are ingredients in the final recipe.

When filtering the drinks prior to bottling, companies can use things like isinglass (from fish bladder,) gelatin, egg whites, and sea shells, among other things. These products grab onto the impurities and make it easier to catch them in the filters.

I was surprised at how many wines contained animal products in them. For example, Baron Phillippe de Rothchild reds, Bollinger Champagnes, Chandon, Guinness Porter and Stout contain animal products. Most hard liquor products are animal free.

I'm not a vegan or vegetgarian - but thought I would pass that on to you for educational purposes.

I know you can purify moonshine with egg whites. But wine?
Do you a link for data in wines?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I've had organic beer before but hadn't heard of this. But I guess I'm not surprised. Generally speaking I probably don't know enough about how things are made.

I use gelatin as a timing agent in the beer I brew. I’d say most large breweries are filtering though.

If someone coming to my house had those exacting standards, they better bring their own drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My oldest is Vegan.
She doesn’t drink.
Maybe this is the reason.
I’ve never asked.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If an ant is killed in the harvesting of your zen macrobiotic organic corn, does that render the entire crop verboten? If so, plan on starving.

And honey? It’s not as if it’s harvested by squeezing the bee with a pair of pliers.

If an ant is killed in the harvesting of your zen macrobiotic organic corn, does that render the entire crop verboten? If so, plan on starving.

And honey? It’s not as if it’s harvested by squeezing the bee with a pair of pliers.

The rules for vegans are interesting. My wife's friend is a vegan who also only consumes organic food. She is concerned about consuming anything that is made or grown with chemical products. I confirmed with her that wines or alcohol that is strained or filtered with animal products are not vegan. I also confirmed with her that chemical fertilizers are not organic. I "innocently" asked her how does an organic farmer raise fruits and vegetables that she can eat if he can't use animal products (manure, fish byproducts, etc.) or chemical fertilizers to make them grow?

Vegan's answer about honey is that no animal such as a bee or cow should be raised to supply food. Any animal or animal product is not to be consumed.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The rules for vegans are interesting. Vegan's answer about honey is that no animal such as a bee or cow should be raised to supply food. Any animal or animal product is not to be consumed.
Does that apply to sex?

Slightly related topic -- I work in a liquor store. I often get customers asking about "organic" wines or spirits. They proclaim that the organic products are healthier than the others.
Me: "You know that alcohol is a POISON, right?"

The only vegans I know who ever have issues with this are new ones. They tend to be very hard line but as time goes on they relax a bit, no different then any reformed X. Having a relaxing drink with friends tends to win out over some isinglass being used to clarify.

Vegan cookbook author on the radio the other day in response to someone saying they could never be vegan because they could never give up cheese, "Be a vegan that eats cheese."

dave

Top Bottom