What's new

veg deliveries changing my approach to cooking

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In the past, my meals were always protein oriented, and I would buy veggies to compliment whatever the meat or fish was, and how I was cooking it. Recently though, things have started to change.

I have a freezer full of meat and fish, and I have started buying value boxes from a local wholesale greengrocers. They supply various traders throughout the county, but will also deliver to your door, so long as you order more than a pretty humble minimum order.

IMG_20210318_091100_edit.jpg

This week's £20 mixed box just arrived, and I haven't "unpacked" it yet, but there looks to be an excellent assortment again. Now, instead of the meat/fish taking the lead, the veggies inspire the meals ahead.

The swede and parsnips will likely be roasted with honey, so that will probably be with a chicken breast. I'll probably throw in another breast to eat cold with the various salad stuff. That good size cabbage will do a few meals, so I'll probably be looking to do some steamed, and some stirfried. Maybe do some bubble and squeak with the leftovers.

I like this lucky dip approach, as it's challenging me to go beyond what I would normally cook. Living alone, I wouldn't normally buy a big head of cabbage like that. The swede too, is larger than I'd normally put in my shopping trolley. There's a good chance I'll be cooking a main meal, and dropping part of the same ingredients in the slow cooker, for batch cooking other meals for another day.

With these random deliveries, I'll no doubt be finding myself scouring my recipe books for ideas of how to use up odd combinations of ingredients as the crate content dwindles, or things need using quickly, and cooking up meals I've never attempted before. Different soups, risottos, and baked dishes, inspired by whatever is left, or needs using up next.

It's a whole different thinking, working with whatever you happen to be given, rather than stuff you specifically planned to buy. Challenging, but also liberating, as it should nudge me outside my comfort zone, and diversify my diet a bit.

This is great! I've been on a (mostly) plant-based diet for about two months now and have also been enjoying learning and cooking new recipes, instead of the old standbys. Curries and stir-frys are always great. I found one recipe that had you chopping up a bunch of different vegetables and putting them on a baking sheet with a package of gnocchi. Toss with olive oil and bake. It's really good!

To use up some of your cabbage, you might like to try curtido. It's a lightly fermented salad dish from Central America, with cabbage, onion and carrot. Goes well with many things. Keeps for quite a while in the fridge in a glass jar.

curtido-1.jpgcurtido-2.jpg

You can easily cook red cabbage/onions/apples and freeze them works wonders with mash and saussages.

And yeah the good thing of these packages by the season you are automatically eating more variety and in season so prime quality

Top Bottom