What's new

Vector vexed.

A wee effort for your next shave and I swear I’ll call you brother! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: dfs
While I haven't had a bad shave with the Vector, it can be a bit more exciting than I like! So I took the advice of @never-stop-learning and put in a Kai Protouch MG. I am really liking this combination, and am getting great shaves! I can now use the Vector daily, whereas before if I used it 2 days in a row, I would have irritation. Third day in a row today, and my mug is feeling smooth and happy!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
While I haven't had a bad shave with the Vector, it can be a bit more exciting than I like! So I took the advice of @never-stop-learning and put in a Kai Protouch MG. I am really liking this combination, and am getting great shaves! I can now use the Vector daily, whereas before if I used it 2 days in a row, I would have irritation. Third day in a row today, and my mug is feeling smooth and happy!

Glad the Kai is working for you. :)

Sounds like you're getting there, great! BTW your description "I just held razor naturally and let the shape of head just do it’s thing. Plus less pressure.." is a wonderful way to express how to use most new safety razors- well stated.

IMHO the Mild Pink blades and the Feather Pro Lights are good, but with the solid bar the guarded blades, Protouch MG or Feather Pro Guard, made it easier for me to master my Vector. I have some Protouch MG and Feather Lights here, if you want one of each, just shoot me a PM and I'll put them in the post.
You CANNOT fit the Feather Pro Light in the Vector's top cap. Just sayin'... it's not compatible, as the blade is too narrow, more precisely the middle opening on the blade is too narrow for the rectangular thread to fit through.

1617829127639.png

1617829042226.png

Yes, try different blades. The primary benefit of the AC system is that the blade options basically make every razor an adjustable. So this would be like getting a Fat Boy and leaving stuck on 7. Try a different blade and you’ll get a different “setting” as it were.

Also, use a steeper angle. If you’re getting too much blade then a steep angle will pull it back. You may also be using too much pressure. Without any pressure the Vector is really hard to get bitten by so much guess is that you’re adding too much.
Great advice for the Vector. It is easy to apply too much pressure because the razor is very light. Drop a Proline in your Vector go easy and light and it will be your favorite shave.

So after a rocky start with the vector and feather pro I next tried the Kai titan mild. It seemed just as effective a shave but smoother, especially after the first day. Today I tried the Kai protouch mg. Silky smooth, close, and just overall awesome. I am not sure how much of this is attributable to the blade or if I am just getting better with the Vector. Probably a combo of both.

Next week the Shick Proline! My other razors starting to get jealous.

Great to hear (read!), @dfs! I really liked the Prolines, but found 2 days in a row to be a little irritating to my face. I wondered if it was technique, as the Vector is so different from the 3" DEs I typically used. So I put in a Proguard MG. Wow, great shaves, no irritation, and I did 7 days in a row! I do think it was mostly technique, but that blade is helping me gain experience and confidence with the Vector. I, too, will be trying the Prolines again soon. And yes, my other razors feel the green monster as well! Some are even wondering if they will be moving to a new home!

Great to hear (read!), @dfs! I really liked the Prolines, but found 2 days in a row to be a little irritating to my face. I wondered if it was technique, as the Vector is so different from the 3" DEs I typically used. So I put in a Proguard MG. Wow, great shaves, no irritation, and I did 7 days in a row! I do think it was mostly technique, but that blade is helping me gain experience and confidence with the Vector. I, too, will be trying the Prolines again soon. And yes, my other razors feel the green monster as well! Some are even wondering if they will be moving to a new home!
I started with the ProTouch MG and am now using the Titan Mild Pink. Both of these Kai blades are very comfortable, smooth, and efficient. They enabled me to learn better technique with my Vector without irritation or blood loss. I’m going to try the Prolines next.

I started with the ProTouch MG and am now using the Titan Mild Pink. Both of these Kai blades are very comfortable, smooth, and efficient. They enabled me to learn better technique with my Vector without irritation or blood loss. I’m going to try the Prolines next.
I have some of those blades, rather one, from Try A Blade. I will have to give it a try.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
hmmm...everything is good now and you're considering changing?

Be aware that blade samples from try a blade can be hit and miss. I ordered two Kai Mild Pinks to try out. The first one was lovely, smooth and comfortable. The second one was awful.... couldn't even get through one pass with it. Tuggy, rough..... made me wonder which was a true representative of the blade.
Eventually, I ordered a full pack of them, and am happy to report that the first blade was representative. Maybe in handling and shipping some of the blades get dulled.
Just a cautionary tale......

Be aware that blade samples from try a blade can be hit and miss. I ordered two Kai Mild Pinks to try out. The first one was lovely, smooth and comfortable. The second one was awful.... couldn't even get through one pass with it. Tuggy, rough..... made me wonder which was a true representative of the blade.
Eventually, I ordered a full pack of them, and am happy to report that the first blade was representative. Maybe in handling and shipping some of the blades get dulled.
Good info. So, if I discover a blade that doesn’t work for me, I’ll try the same blade again just in case it was a dud.

Same for me with the Protouch MG blade from Try A Blade and from a full pack. I bet the blade could move too much in the "sleeve" it shipped in and got dulled.

@GNR @dfs looking forward to your impression of the Schick Proline.

I tried the Feather Proguard a few times. While it provides a comfortable shave, I found it lacked efficiency. The Proline can mow down in 2 passes what the guarded blade needed in 3. I’ve now been using the Proline regularly but do suffer from occasional razor burn. I’m working on improving my technique.

I think technique will be dependent on the blade. The pressure you apply with a guarded blade should not be the same as what you apply with a sharp blade like the Proline.

Top Bottom