What's new

Vector/Proline blade alignment

Luckily, I've had my Vector for a few months. I tried Prolines first (B&B recommendations), but I'd initially assumed the alignment problem was an issue with the blade, rather than the razor, and decided to come back to Prolines after trying out others.

I sold my DE razors after my first shave with the Vector. I have had so many enjoyable shaves, and I would find it hard to pick a favourite blade yet, but if I had to choose, I would keep the OC baseplate.

I'm not keen on guarded blades except for Feather Soft Guard. I get on well with Kai Captain/Captain mild and Feather Professional (except for those first couple of shaves). I couldn't get an enjoyable shave out of the Professional Super, but I did try them quite early on. I may give them another go at some point.

I recently got myself a Sabre, too (L2 plate). I found it a joy to use, and I particularly like the feel of the GEM blades, but after two mornings I started reaching for the Vector again.

Maybe the honeymoon isn't over yet.

I came across rumours of a titanium Vector, which sounds exciting, but it does make we wonder about weight.
My journey has been similar, with the exception of blades. Only have 2 DEs left, and added some injectors. I think SE is my favorite now.

Is this a used Vector or a brand new one. The reason I ask is because the original Vectors had tolerances so close that often times blades got stuck and had to be pried off the cap. This was solved in later versions. If your Vector is an early model, yu might want to contact Shane at Blackland and let him know. If it is a new Vector, then DEFINITELY contact him because the Prolines work well on it.

I've been in touch with Shane, and he was planning to replicate the issue and solve it, but he's not been in touch for a while. I was thinking he must be busy with the Tradere and Era.

That’s for the heads up. I had the same issue with my relatively new Vector. The Proline blade didn’t seat correctly and I had a few rough shaves. No big deal once I knew to look for it.

It's not the most elegant solution, but it works: a sliver of Scotch tape, covering the part of the slot that permits the misalignment. The grip of the tape is affected by the oiled surface of a new Proline, but I found I could make it work. Once mounted, the blade will stay aligned.

So, now I've managed to try the Vector/Proline combination, I must say that they are a good match.

3A3E57A5-BC8D-410F-BDEF-2B0467AFEE43.jpeg

Last edited:
It's not the most elegant solution, but it works: a sliver of Scotch tape, covering the part of the slot that permits the misalignment. The grip of the tape is affected by the oiled surface of a new Proline, but I found I could make it work. Once mounted, the blade will stay aligned.

So, now I've managed to try the Vector/Proline combination, I must say that they are a good match.

View attachment 1302858
Before your tape solution, would the blade not stay aligned even if the razor was together clamping the blade? Or was it just hard to put together while maintaining blade alignment?

Before your tape solution, would the blade not stay aligned even if the razor was together clamping the blade? Or was it just hard to put together while maintaining blade alignment?

It was impossible. I dropped on the blade, and tilted the cap in the direction that favoured alignment, but no matter how carefully I screwed on the handle, the result was out of kilter. I still don't understand it—especially since so many use this combination, without issue.

I just had a thought.

Would someone who has no alignment issues mind posting a picture of their top cap?

Considering the tolerances these beautiful razors are machined to, I feel it's a very slim possibility that there is anything to be seen, but it's worth ruling out.

Funny, I happened to revisit the same Proline that I had some trouble aligning a month ago or so. I already had four shaves on it--two rough and two fine. Got the alignment set up and had a good shave with it again today. I thought of a new method if a blade is giving me fits: before clamping the cap and base plate together, use a stiff piece of cardboard or plastic and push the blade in the direction it needs to go, then clamp the parts together and assemble the handle. It's tricky but I tried it just now and it works. I like the tape idea too. I may load up a fresh one tomorrow to see if there's any variation.

I don't have any alignment issue with the Vector and Proline. Just load the blade ang go. And I have the habit of check blade alignment before every shave, that is a sequel of having some Fatips in the past. The Vector/proline combo is always spot on. If I try I can make the proline go somewhere, but naturally loading it is always perfect.

Have you tried other Prolines from the pack? Maybe the problem is in the blade somehow.

Later I will take a picture of mine top cap.

I don't have any alignment issue with the Vector and Proline. Just load the blade ang go. And I have the habit of check blade alignment before every shave, that is a sequel of having some Fatips in the past. The Vector/proline combo is always spot on. If I try I can make the proline go somewhere, but naturally loading it is always perfect.

Have you tried other Prolines from the pack? Maybe the problem is in the blade somehow.

Later I will take a picture of mine top cap.

I assumed the blade was at fault, at first (it seemed more likely than anything to do with the Vector). I bought a second pack of blades, half expecting some resolution, but the issue remains.

New Vector Ti owner here. Discarded my Feather Pro, popped in my first Schick P30 blade. I don't have alignment issues, but the blade fit was very tight. I had to exert a bit of torque to screw the handle on. Alignment seems OK, but not too thrilled that the blade is bound between the two posts.

Have not shaved yet with it, but was curious if anyone else had very tight P30 fittings. The Feather Pro I used fit perfectly.

New Vector Ti owner here. Discarded my Feather Pro, popped in my first Schick P30 blade. I don't have alignment issues, but the blade fit was very tight. I had to exert a bit of torque to screw the handle on. Alignment seems OK, but not too thrilled that the blade is bound between the two posts.

Have not shaved yet with it, but was curious if anyone else had very tight P30 fittings. The Feather Pro I used fit perfectly.
I can't even get them to fit. Even if I push them on, the blade is still bent. I imagine this is a QC control issue with Schick, but I wonder if anyone has experience of one cartridge working, and another not.

I can't even get them to fit. Even if I push them on, the blade is still bent. I imagine this is a QC control issue with Schick, but I wonder if anyone has experience of one cartridge working, and another not.
Strange. In my vector it is opposite. The proline blades sit too loose. It is hard to align it properly. Is there differences in the blades from different batches?

From what I have heard, they have removed the Schick blades from the website as a possible option for the Vector, because of reported issues with fitting the blades

Strange. In my vector it is opposite. The proline blades sit too loose. It is hard to align it properly. Is there differences in the blades from different batches?
Is yours from the new batch, or is it older. When did you buy yours?

Top Bottom