What's new

Vector or Sabre for 1st SE

I really want to get a Vector and its for sur on my list to get. That being said a very budget friendly SE razor is a RazorRock Hawk. I have a V2 and its a great razor for the money. Super light and maneuverable and you can use Proline blades with it.
Once you get the Vector, you put all your other razors to rest. Well, at least my Hawk V3 has been resting somewhere in my den ever since... as someone said the other day it's the "tuition fee" of that trial & error phase we all go through. Luckily, mine was a rather short one.

Once you get the Vector, you put all your other razors to rest. Well, at least my Hawk V3 has been resting somewhere in my den ever since... as someone said the other day it's the "tuition fee" of that trial & error phase we all go through. Luckily, mine was a rather short one.

I like that "Tuition Fee" saying. The vector is quite pricy though and has stopped me from picking it up on a few occasions now. I am still trying to convince "SWMBO" though which is another factor of me not getting one yet. Soon I hope!

I like that "Tuition Fee" saying. The vector is quite pricy though and has stopped me from picking it up on a few occasions now. I am still trying to convince "SWMBO" though which is another factor of me not getting one yet. Soon I hope!
OH boy... sometimes I wonder what's the world coming to.

You need to "convince SWMBO", aka get a permission to buy smth. as trivial as razor.

I feel for you brother...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

You need to encourage your bride to cultivate a love of fine jewelry and clothing. A Vector becomes a downright reasonable expenditure. ;) 🤣

I was fortunate to have a buddy lend me his Vector for a week. That is all it took. But @Stingy Jack is right, the Vector is a major purchase. It is all right for us to view it as a tool, or worth it, or whatever. But you have to admit, to the majority of the folks we interact with on a daily basis, paying a couple of hundred dollars for a razor is outlandish! Just buy the damn cheap disposable, they say. I get it. Earlier in life, such an expense would be ridiculous to just do without planning and budgeting.

As for a starter SE, I agree with those who said an injector, either used or the new Parker. Great results, intuitive, and almost like cheating compared to blade hunting and angle finding with the DE.

It is expensive. I'll be the first to agree. I was lucky enough to find one used, and even then it was more than I would ever have imagined paying for a razor even two years ago. I sold a bunch of other shaving stuff - a couple of razors and soaps - to offset the cost, and if you bulk buy the blades then sell of the excess (I think one box of 30 AC blades should last a year) you can bring that cost down, too. Doing the latter means I've got 2+ years of AC blades at essentially no out-of-pocket cost to myself. At that point I thought, "ok, this razor costs about X number of plastic cartridge purchases" and felt better about it.

It is expensive. I'll be the first to agree. I was lucky enough to find one used, and even then it was more than I would ever have imagined paying for a razor even two years ago. I sold a bunch of other shaving stuff - a couple of razors and soaps - to offset the cost, and if you bulk buy the blades then sell of the excess (I think one box of 30 AC blades should last a year) you can bring that cost down, too. Doing the latter means I've got 2+ years of AC blades at essentially no out-of-pocket cost to myself. At that point I thought, "ok, this razor costs about X number of plastic cartridge purchases" and felt better about it.

I did the same, posted a WTB on the BST and had a response fairly quickly. Still a lot, like you say. But you do see one now and again for $150 or thereabouts. And I did do a bit of a purge of unused items to help take the cost down. Still have some more pruning to do, 2 months later, I bought a new Sabre!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I did the same, posted a WTB on the BST and had a response fairly quickly. Still a lot, like you say. But you do see one now and again for $150 or thereabouts. And I did do a bit of a purge of unused items to help take the cost down. Still have some more pruning to do, 2 months later, I bought a new Sabre!

That's the spirit! :thumbup:

Sorry for the delayed response. I answered @molon_labe via message, but thought I would share my thoughts for anyone considering the Sabre, Vector, or both solution.
The Vector SB was easier and more intuitive for me in the beginning because I was a steep angle shaver with DE razors. The Vector performance is great with a few different angles of attack, so I picked it up quickly. The Vector SB probably provides the “best” BBS 3 pass shave for my skin/technique. It could easily be my only razor.
The Sabre L1 and L2 (with GEM PTFE blades) provides the easiest 2 pass shaves, that are incredibly close and comfortable. The two plates allow me to change the efficiency as the blade breaks in or as I see fit for any given day. Honestly, the Sabre (with both plates) could also be my only razor.
Luckily, I’m allowed to have more than 1 razor. My best 1- 2 punch is with the Sabre and Vector. I love the shaves, performance, design, and craftsmanship so much I’m getting rid of my DE razors and they are good to great razors.
Recommendation: Buy either the Sabre or Vector from @Blackland Razors and learn the SE format you’ve chosen (GEM vs. AC). Then you can try the other format by grabbing a vintage GEM or Hawk V2 without committing a lot of money. If you fall in love with both GEM and AC format SE razors you should save up and get both of Blackland Razors they are exquisite, perform out of this world, and are a joy to own and use.
Tim
I'm curious if you (or anyone) use the Sabre with a steep angle?

In my experience, the Sabre and all GEM format razors work best when the head of the razor is just slightly lifted off the face. This seems to provide the best combo of efficiency and smoothness.
Under the nose you can start steep and transition to the normal shallow angle, sort of like scooping the lather away. (When scooping watch your pressure or you can cut yourself pretty good.)
I’m sure more experienced and smart SE razor users can chime in and provide more information.

The actual angle with the Sabre is a little misleading. The handle itself is a little tilted forward making the shaving position more similar to other razors but it is inherently shallower. So it is shallow and I use it on the shallow side. But the tilted handle makes it more natural to hold. If I go steep the blade don't even touch the face. This all is with the L1 plate, have a L2 is coming. Quite liking it even it being so mild in the L1.

Top Bottom