What's new

Vector Open Comb (won't last)

Y'all better hurry up lol
Vector-Open-Comb.png

Got mine. :)

Looking forward to the @Blackland Razors Vector OC. :)
I'm really glad he's offering just the base plate option. I have extra base plates for a few of my high end razors, since (at least for me) it's too costly to buy the whole razor or even the whole head. The only stainless razors I didn't mind buying doubles of, we're the RazoRock brand, but I bought scratch n dent and super sales, so I paid way less than average. My Timeless and Blackland stuff is one handle and top cap + multiple base plates. This hobby makes me crazy...

It looks good, brings more variety to the AC razor market and isn't madly expensive all things considered. However, I'm struggling to think of a way it could bring any noticeable improvement to my Vector, so I think I'll sit back and read the reviews with interest, but not an intention to buy.

I think this is fair and I agree that it doesn't improve on the Vector. What it does do is bring another viable option for those who need/want one. Some like open comb for multi-day growth, some prefer it for the lather flow, and some guys just like using something different. Most will be perfectly happy with the safety bar, but it's always nice to have options. :)

I think this is fair and I agree that it doesn't improve on the Vector. What it does do is bring another viable option for those who need/want one. Some like open comb for multi-day growth, some prefer it for the lather flow, and some guys just like using something different. Most will be perfectly happy with the safety bar, but it's always nice to have options. :)
I wouldn't say those things aren't improvements, as I consider having options a product improvement in and of itself, particularly when it comes to razors and baseplates. It's a bit like an appliance that becomes modular with new attachments, expanding its capabilities. Razors are an interesting niche market and everyone seems to be pushing the envelope here and there but often just the minor adjustments and additions are enough to make the hobby that much more fun. Coke is great, but have you tried Cherry Coke?? No, Diet Vanilla Coke is not for me but Coke Zero is okay too. I can see why some of us would not be so quick to order the latest thing, but I was looking forward to an OC Vector plate before I ever heard rumors it would become a reality. Now, do I need it in every color and finish? Heck no, to me that's crazy, but then I know some people will have to have one in every color and finish. This hobby is awesome :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Posted this is a variety of spots but must have left this one out.

OCtober 2020 #8
20201015_162709~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (3)
Brush: RazoRock Butterscotch Beehive (28mm Plissoft knot)
Lather: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Aftershave: Reuzel Wood & Spice
Fragrance: Milton-Lloyd Essentials No 3 EdP Spray

WTG, ATG, XTG plus minor touch-up using the Vector OC.

DFS++ (BBS except the "Fool's Pass" area) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

The Vector OC Baseplate is simply outstanding. Takes what the Standard Baseplate does and takes it up a level (or two ;)). Smooth, effortless, efficient and effective.

Congratulations to Shane and the @Blackland Razors Team. The Vector OC is definitely a great razor! 👍

This shave was absolutely superb - one of the best I've had. 😎

My first shave was this morning. Same smooth comfortable shave as the straight bar, but it mowed through seven days of course stubble with a heavily used blade, like a hot knife through butter. I think it actually smoothed out that old blade and prolonged its life (instead of binning it, I wrapped and kept it.) I did three-ish passes (head and face) and used a mixture of alcohol and Clubman as an aftershave. No feedback whatsoever. I even made my lather just a bit thicker than usual and let the OC handle it. I wouldn't say it was a better experience, but it was certainly unique and I'm really glad I indulged myself. If you only buy one Vector model, definitely buy the OC!

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
OCtober 2020 #9
20201016_114901~2.jpg

Razor: @Blackland Razors Vector OC :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (4)
Brush: Heritage Ever-Ready 200 (Maggard 22mm SHD 2-Band Badger)
Lather: Martin de Candre Fougère
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman VIBR
Fragrance: Pinaud Clubman Citrus Musk

WTG, ATG, XTG plus minor touch-up using the Vector OC.

DFS++ (BBS except the "Fool's Pass" area) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.
nr0sx.jpg

Smooth, effortless, efficient and effective. This shave was as good as my first shave with the Vector OC - absolutely superb. 😎

Received my OC Vector baseplate yesterday so just did a shave with it tonight on 36 hour growth. First impressions are:
You can feel the teeth at a steep angle and loose all feel of teeth at a shallow angle.
I settled in at about a 35-40 degree angle (Handle to face) and it was a very smooth shave with a slight feel of the OC and blade. I did a typical 3 pass shave with it and received a wonderful BBS. I will see what the duration of the BBS is but I would agree that the OC is a slight step up in efficiency, NOT at the level of a Classic Cobra or an Asylum Rx but definitely noticeable from the SB.

Top Bottom