What's new

VDH Safety Razor/Shave Set Review as a Beginner.

As most members here know, wet shaving is making a comeback. This is despite the higher start up cost and general lack of supplies one can find in brick and mortars. Also considering we are living in a time where convenience sets the precedent for almost all consumer goods, it is quite a feat. Bucking the trend of cartridges and gaining room in more and more store shelves is Van Der Hagen and their new line of "Luxury" items. While certainly not the best quality, for $45 plus tax, it is a cheap gateway into the world of wet shaving and using DE safety razors. I am still a new comer in the world of wet shaving and this is what this review is geared for. Is this kit worth picking up for someone looking to try wet shaving and DE safety razors?

http://www.target.com/p/van-der-hagen-luxury-4-piece-shave-set/-/A-14950422

http://www.target.com/p/van-der-hag...048922#prodSlot=medium_1_4&term=van+der+hagen

DISCLAIMER: As with most things involving personal care and hygiene Your Mileage May Very. What works for you may not work for others. This piece is, while trying to remain factual and objective when possible, is my opinion.

Before we begin, my routine is as follows and never changes:

Soak brush and bowl in sink of hot water for minimum 5 minutes.
Shower for 5-10 minutes, water hot as comfortable.
Shave immediately after shower.
No Pre-Shave oil/cream.
Post shave is warm water rinse, cold water rinse, Aqua Velva Classic Ice, let dry while cleaning up, Finish with Nivea Sensitive ASB.

First off what do you get for your $45 and change?

You get as follows: a TTO Safety Razor (Made In China), 5 VDH blades (unmarked, Made in Germany), Pure Badger Hair Brush (Unknown origin), Apothecary Mug (Made in China), VDH "Luxury" Scent Soap (Made in Germany, Glycerin based), and a clear acrylic brush and razor stand.

The Razor:

After a bit of research, as some of you already know or guessed, the VDH razor is actually the Weishi 9306, which is a Chinese copy of the older Gillette Super Speeds. This is also the same razor as the Micro Touch One. Many members here that have tried the Weishi/MTO have universally found this to be one of the mildest razors on the market. It is also an all metal construction being made out of brass. I personally found the fit and finish acceptable for the $20 cost. After it being a (Almost) daily shaver for over a month, it still functions perfectly and has shown no signs of pre mature wear. As for the actual shave, after gaining a better technique, it performs admirably. I have mildly sensitive skin and when I did my part, the razor gave a nice, close, and irritation free shave. I was able to get a nice BBS shave (on the parts of my face that allow it) on several occasions and nothing less than a DFS using 3 passes. The caveat I found with this razor is the blade angle has VERY small angle in which is performs its job. For me, a beginner, I found it a good thing. It forced me to slow down and work on my technique. The big CONs to being so mild is 1. Thick bearded Gents will have to make more passes for that close shave and 2. Most beginners will try to compensate with using pressure. I am blessed (or cursed depending) with a light-average beard, so even with the razor being so mild it works great for me. For how long this razor will last I cannot say, but after my research and own handling, this is definitely NOT a razor I think will last more than a few years with proper care.

Came packaged in bubble wrap and Styrofoam wrap with 5 blades.

The Blades:
The 5 blades came packaged with the razor in a white plastic dispenser, with VDH cardboard label above first blade. No other markings on blades and wrapper in plain white wax paper, held on with 4 dots. As I have yet to use any other blades for comparison, I will say the blade gets the job done. I have noticed a little tugging at times, even when new but progressively worse as the blades wear. I am able to get a week out of each blade (roughly 5-6 shaves). Reports from B&B forum searches seem to point toward these blades being sub-par. Will update this section when new blades arrive.

The Brush:

This brush is labelled as a pure badger hair brush and looks to be medium sized. Handle appears and feels to be made out of composite material. The brush I received had very little to almost non existent odor. The first couple of weeks saw some decent amount of hair loss, but nothing I would consider concerning. After first couple of weeks, almost no hair loss (about 3 or 4 hairs over two weeks). The is no visual or felt loss of volume over a month of use. It does a decent job of lathering the VDH soap (more on the soap later) and an excellent job lathering up both of my Proraso creams. It is still a little scratchy but is breaking in nicely and is truly a treat to use. I feel with proper care this brush can last a hand full of years.

The Mug:

What can I say about a mug, other than it is a mug and serves its purpose well. The soap puck fits like a glove in the bottom of the mug. It also holds heat very well, keeping lather warm through out the shave. Only other thing of note, it looks almost identical to this Edwin Jagger mug, just with a different label: http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-Porcelain-Shaving-Handle/dp/B000FIH8XO

The Soap:

The soap is Made in Germany and out of the kit comes in a clear plastic contain with a snap lid (as pictured above). I found the scent to be a light masculine scent that wasn't over powering and perfectly acceptable. I found in my use (probably technique on my end), the soap didn't like bowl lathering. I had a much easier time lathering directly on my face after loading my brush. While some people in the reviews section of B&B like the soap, I am personally not a fan. See, there is that YMMV thing again. I have kept it in rotation with CO Bigelow cream and the shaves for me, just are not quite as good. It leaves me with some irritation after the shave and doesn't seem to have the same slickness. I may revisit this one after some time, but for now I do not like the soaps performance. Scent and the ease of lathering are good, just don't like the shave I get with it.

The Stand:

The stand is a basic clear acrylic that does a fine job holding the brush. As for holding the razor, I am not impressed. This is obviously designed to hold modern cartridge razors. It still does the job but I think it should be designed with a DE razor in mind as most people that get this will probably get the razor that sits right next to it on the shelf. It ain't pretty and isn't a show piece but it is functional (besides above), which is fine for me. I am a mechanic by trade and prefer function over form.

Overall:

The big advantage to the VDH razor and Shave Set is availability. I found mine in a local Target within a 10 minute drive from my house. All quality concerns aside, I think this kit being available in stores might just be a sign of the future. Whether someone likes VDH products or not, credit has to given to the fact they are bucking the norm in the shaving aisle and gaining shelf space in a time of disposable razors, over priced cartridges and nasty gel goo from an aerosol can. Hopefully this paves the way for other companies and their products to be seen in stores nationwide and even world wide. Could you imagine picking up a refill puck of Mitchells Wool Fat or a tub of TOBS cream the same time you get a loaf of bread and gallon of milk? Whether someone gets the kit or not, it sure will pique the interest of quite a few and many of them will end up in the good hands of B&B.

As a whole package for the new wet shaver, there is some great value to be had here in this kit. There are definitely better razors for similar prices or better ones for a little more, but the VDH serves as a stepping stone to the bigger world of wet shaving. It is much easier to drop $45 on a whole starter kit you can buy and take home versus dropping $40-$50 on just a razor or getting a vintage Gillette off the Bay or some random antique store. I fully admit that the VDH will probably end up not being my daily shaver as I try out other razors, but I will keep it. It will serve me quite well as a decent back up razor or travel razor. I mean for $20, if I lose it, no big deal. Far as the other hardware in the kit, I can easily see using the brush and mug for years to come.

As a wrap up:

For Soon-to-be or New Wet Shavers: Don't be scared off this due to some negative feedback. As with everything here, because it didn't work from someone else, doesn't mean it won't work out for you. If you have a really thicker/tougher beard, I would look at other razors commonly suggested around the forums due the very mildness of the razor. The shave set still stands as a good choice and you may very well love the soap that I didn't

For the veterans: This would be a perfect gift set (should you not want to give away your own shaving supplies) to introduce a friend or family member to wet shaving without dropping big bones. Also keep an open mind and possibly try the razor yourself. While no merkur, EJ, or vintage, it could easily serve the role as a travel razor. It could also fill in when the shave needs to be quick, like running late for work. Could be a great razor for touch ups, such as a shave after work on date night.

I thank everyone for reading this long winded review. I will be updating parts of this as I try other products and to keep everyone informed on longevity. So how does the rest of B&B feel about the VDH Razor/Shave set?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice review! I noticed when I walked by the Shaving aisle at my local Target, the shelf was empty of the VDH DE razors as well as the kit (after being full last month). Hopefully with that movement from the shelves, we will see more traditional wet shave products in stores in the near future!

Top Bottom