What's new

VDH is the real deal! And soap thoughts in general

Just tried this for the first time and I'm impressed. It is the least expensive thing I have tried, but it is as good as anything else. I'm pretty sure I got the deluxe version, it's pink in any case. I will alternate between this and my Speick stick and see which one I like better. Actually, if I have to test to find out, I think I'm going to lean towards the VDH, it's so cheap, but so good!

That leads me to my next topic, I think I'm done trying out new soaps. I've come to the conclusion that if a soap gets me a good shave and leaves my face feeling good afterwards, that's all I need. The scent isn't all that important to me, none of my current soaps bother me scentwise. Between this VDH, my Bay Rum Conk's, my Speick stick, and an ogallala L&P stick (I'll get it to work one of these days), I think I'm good on soaps. Once these run out, I'll probably get another VDH, maybe a Speick. I think I'll spend my AD energy on aftershaves and get back to my colonge habit eventually:tongue_sm

At least get Tabac. Also if you want a cheap awesome performer... Arko Stick. Super cheap and out of this world lather, and a wonderful scent IMHO. Stoking the flames of AD.:devil:

I've already got a cheap performer, the VDH! I don't really see the point of getting ore soaps, I already have enough for over a year... See, with aftershaves and colognes, there is always another scent to look for, but with soap? As long as I get the shave I want, I'm happy.

For me it's fun to try new products but the VDH is the one soap that I've finished and replaced several times over. I love the scent and the quality at that price point.

For me it's fun to try new products but the VDH is the one soap that I've finished and replaced several times over. I love the scent and the quality at that price point.

i haven't used VDH specifically because it always seems to end with the caveat "within the price point"

Arko performs fantastically, and while i don't mind the scent that is the only aspect that seems to land in the "withing the price point" catagory.

you mentioned Speick SS and i would be curious if it doesn't last at least twice as long. it's only $5 to the VDH's $2.50 which would make the Speick a better buy.

Issac,

I think that your enthusiasm is terrific. It can be very addictive to try so many products so I understand your reticence in exploring more soaps.

One thing I would point out is that until you try a large sampling of soaps it will remain a case of "you don't know what you are missing".
No one would deny that VDH is a serviceable product. But. Its not a luxury product. So I guess I am saying don't sell yourself short, try at least a couple mid tier and upper tier soaps. :001_smile

Isaacc,
I agree, the VDH deluxe does perform well for me too and the price is right. As was mentioned before though, we really need to try other soaps out there to see what we are missing.

I like VDH a lot, too.

Also, I have made a "Scream" with VDH Select and AoS unscented cream. Just melt the VDH in the microwave, and stir in the cream until it is reasonably well incorporated. This makes for a really nice soap.

Is the deluxe the VDH that everyone always talks about?

OF the two types of VDH that are widely and readily available, yes. The VDH Deluxe has shea butter in it and is thus supposed to be more moisturizing. The other one that people talk about is the VDH Glycerine, but I cannot find it anywhere. Local drugstores around here also carry VDH Select, which many people disparage, but I think it's a decent product. That's the one that I coupled with the AoS unscented, and now it's a good soap.

Just tried this for the first time and I'm impressed. It is the least expensive thing I have tried, but it is as good as anything else. I'm pretty sure I got the deluxe version, it's pink in any case.

Awesome you found your soap! It really is a great soap that I use more than half the time. Its even fun to superlather with it using a soft cream and some of VDH.

Yes, you did get the Deluxe. I havn't tried the other two but I hear this one is the best.

I know you said you will not be trying others most likely... but what about the smaller soap suppliers? Like Honeybee, mama bear, etc. So many different scents, or unscented even... for not much more than VDH or Col. Conk. They hover around the 4 or 5 dollar range If I remember correctly.

At least get Tabac. Also if you want a cheap awesome performer... Arko Stick. Super cheap and out of this world lather, and a wonderful scent IMHO. Stoking the flames of AD.:devil:

Never tried Tabac, but more likely then not, you will love it. At least from what I hear. The only complaint I've come across from those who dislike Tabac is not with the soap itself, but the smell. That is with ANY product though. Smell wise.

And ARKO shave stick is really nice! But I really prefer their cream! It is starting to become my new favorite goto item when I want to lather up for a shave. I think there are 5 varieties, and I've only tried the moist.

Agreed. +1

i haven't used VDH specifically because it always seems to end with the caveat "within the price point"

Arko performs fantastically, and while i don't mind the scent that is the only aspect that seems to land in the "withing the price point" catagory.

That description can be used perfectly to describe VDH. Try it, you'll like it just as much as Arko Soap. I prefer VDH Deluxe to Arko Soap actually, but they are VERY similar. VDH Deluxe the more moisturising one out of the two in my opinion. Also is locally avaliable to me, where as Arko is not.

...I already have enough for over a year... See, with aftershaves and colognes, there is always another scent to look for, but with soap? As long as I get the shave I want, I'm happy.

I've joked that I have enough shave soap to last me until 2043 or so.

But it's probably not a joke. :crying:

Sample some additional soaps --you'll be glad you did.

-- John Gehman

Speaking of VDH. what the heck is that scent anyhow? I've heard some weird references to what it smells like (fish in one instance).

If you like VDH Deluxe, there's a good chance you would like Honeybee Soap, which also has a wide variety of delicious scents.

I really do think I'm done with soaps, at least until I'm done with what I have. I'm hoping to settle in to a regular routine with a limited number of items. I've got my razor and blades sorted out, I have my soaps and my brush, and now I'll look for something to add to my Ogallala L&P AS and my Nivea ASB. Believe it or not, I think I could be happy with that outfit.

As far as the scent of VDH goes, I'm not sure what it is. It definitely smells like a kind of soap (surprise surprise), but I'm unable to get any more specific than that. Anyone else have an idea?

Speaking of VDH. what the heck is that scent anyhow? I've heard some weird references to what it smells like (fish in one instance).

Fish? ***? The most common I've heard is Grey Flannel. I'm thinking about getting(GF) some based on that. I find it has slight similarities to Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I love the way the Deluxe smells.

I've got a unused puck of this waiting for me and have wondered the same thing about the scent! In the package, I certainly can say it IS NOT an appealing scent to my nose! I will eventually try it out though. Like others have said though, the cost difference per use of a good cream/soap vs. a mediocre one is not that much, and they last a fairly long time, so I want to be sure I'm using something I REALLY LIKE A LOT!

Top Bottom