What's new

VDH is the real deal! And soap thoughts in general

There is definitely a scent, and it does smell a bit like Grey Flannel cologne. VDH Deluxe is a good soap (NOT just "for the price").

That description can be used perfectly to describe VDH. Try it, you'll like it just as much as Arko Soap. I prefer VDH Deluxe to Arko Soap actually, but they are VERY similar. VDH Deluxe the more moisturising one out of the two in my opinion. Also is locally avaliable to me, where as Arko is not.

Very interesting! i don't think i would have guessed because the two are so fundamentally different. VDH being a glycerin based melt & pour soap and Arko being a Tallow based milled soap.

i suppose my question is, what else does VDH resemble? could i compare it's performance to QED or TGQ?

I really like VDH deluxe. Lathers up real quickly, and is quite moisturizing. Not as slick as some other melt and pour soaps though.

Very interesting! i don't think i would have guessed because the two are so fundamentally different. VDH being a glycerin based melt & pour soap and Arko being a Tallow based milled soap.

i suppose my question is, what else does VDH resemble? could i compare it's performance to QED or TGQ?

Probably not. I say this because i have never tried those two soaps.

Another tallow based soap I used before is MonSavon. It seemed to dry out the skin more, but was a little more slick.

I also probably use more per shave of VDH then I would Arko or MonSavon. But they are fairly similar.

Probably not. I say this because i have never tried those two soaps.

Another tallow based soap I used before is MonSavon. It seemed to dry out the skin more, but was a little more slick.

I also probably use more per shave of VDH then I would Arko or MonSavon. But they are fairly similar.

it was my understanding that monosavon is a palm based soap. do you have the ingredient list? i would be interested to know as it gets mixed reviews.

also, why do you say VDH is not similar to QED and TGQ? all are a clear melt and pour glycerin soaps...

it was my understanding that monosavon is a palm based soap. do you have the ingredient list? i would be interested to know as it gets mixed reviews.

also, why do you say VDH is not similar to QED and TGQ? all are a clear melt and pour glycerin soaps...

Nope, threw away the plastic wrapper, but according to Here, and here it has tallow.

Aqua, Stéaric Acid, Sodium Tallowate, Potassium Hydroxide, Lauric Acid, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Parfum, Glycerin, Disodium Phosaphte, Coconut Acid, Algin, Sodium Silicate, Pentasolium Pentetate, Solium Chloride

I actually dislike the smell. It kinda of grows on you though. Plus it airs out within a week during its time in your possession. even with the top on. It doesn't really seal all that great.

I really don't know about QED or TGQ. I said I never tried them before, but I assume they do not since I hear more fans of QED at least in my browsing around here. I've never heard anyone say they prefer Williams to QED. But I've heard that about VDH. I also assumed since you where talking about tallow before that QED and TGQ where midrange tallow soaps. I guess I was thinking something along the lines of Tabac. Never tried tabac, but from what I read I'm sure VDH falls miles short of it. No matter how much you scrub off to try and compensate.

And I was talking about VDH Deluxe earlier. I've never tried the select, or glycerin clear pucks. Only the pink one with shea.

To others asking about the smell, it eventually dissapates nearly completely other then leaving behind a soapy smell. Almost like Dove or the like bar soap. I like the smell though. Never smelled Grey Flannel to my knowledge, so I trust the other guys.

VDH Deluxe is my goto soap.
The fragrance is pleasant but hard to define.
It is very slight the first couple sniffs then quickly fades into the back ground.

I have both VDH Deluxe and TGQ soaps. I'll try to do a comparison.

VDH lathers up slightly more quickly. Produces a lather that is pretty similar to the TGQ, although perhaps not quite as thick. Leaves a pretty nice face feel.

TGQ requires more water to lather up, and a bit more effort. Rewards such effort with a slightly thicker, slightly more cushioning lather. Leaves a nice face feel.

Scent-wise, there is absolutely no comparison. Although the VDH has a pleasant smell (at least to my nose), the scent of my TGQ Savon DeCompagne is positively divine.

But where "the rubber meets the road," as they say, the VDH Deluxe really does get the job done, and gets it done well.

I bought some VDH because it was cheap. I've only used it a couple of times. I was rotating between it and Tabac, but found myself not using it anymore. It is cheap, lathers nicely and gives me a decent shave, but Tabac (for me) is so much better.

Top Bottom