What's new

VDH badger

I was the local Wal Mart cut through the shaving isle out of habit, and noticed a VDH pure badger brush on the self. Has anyone tried these I was wondering how good they were at $18.50 I have my doubts.

I have a boar brush I got with a VDH set. I use badgers exclusively, so I haven't used it.

I have never been tempted by their badger. So...I have no direct experience...just opinions. :001_rolle

In general "pure badger" is a low-grade product, and VDH brushes generally don't get a lot of love here, so I wouldn't have high expectations for this.

It is usable in painting strokes. I use it to test samples when I don't need to shave. But it's prickly, especially when you first use it. My face felt extremely itchy and sore until I painted lather on. It smells "musky" for a few months even after shampooing. My Vulfix 2234 didn't smell much at all.

My stank to high heaven even after several weeks of use, shed so much that I was surprised there was anything left, and didn't perform well for me no matter what software I used. So no, I would NOT recommend you get one.

Purchased one a week ago. Have used it every shave but one since. Has some scratchiness. The funk had a slight burnt hair smell to it. After using it twice I washed it with hand soap, shampoo and shaving soap, lathering it each time. That made the funk fainter. This morning was the first one I didn't notice any funk.

It shed the first few times I used it. No shed hairs since.

The brush is made of "pure badger," considered lowest grade.

For decades I used boar and this is my first badger brush, so I do not know how it compares to other badger brushes.

Mine shed like crazy, was very scritchy and the knot fell out of the handle after a few months. Other than that, it was great.

YMMV and all but my recommendation is you can get a very good performing boar or synthetic for that kind of money.

I think $18 sounds like a lot of money for this brush. I bought the VDH Luxury kit with this brush, acrylic stand, apothecary mug and soap puck for $25 at Walgreens. I have had good luck as far as shedding goes (almost none) and I got rid of the truly horrific stink by washing it in Old Spice Wolfthorn body wash. One wash in that and the stench was forever banished. The brush has no backbone at all and is extremely floppy but it makes nice lather. I like my VDH boar brush way better. You can buy that one for $10 bucks in a kit that comes with a ceramic bowl and a soap puck. Wouldn't pay $18 for it.

It not a good brush, I used one for years didn't know how bad it was until I tried other brushes. would not recommend it.

Top Bottom