What's new

Varmint round

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Anyone have a favorite .223 round for coyotes/bobcats? Shots would be between 50 to 200 yards. I've seen some 55 grain Barnes VorTx that look good, but I'm not familiar with that type of shooting. My stuff has been mostly with defensive handguns.

What say ye?

I've never used Barnes .223 loads, but I'm happy with their .44mag loads and have never heard anything bad about any of their products

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I don't have any experience with varmint rounds, but I'd say bullet choice might depend on if you want to preserve the pelts. Otherwise, any .223 round that gives good accuracy in your gun should do. Are you shooting a bolt gun or semiauto? In either case, like @ColtRevolver said, you'll just have to try them out in your gun. I'm sure Barnes ammo is good to go, but whether that particular round is the best choice I couldn't say.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I don't have any experience with varmint rounds, but I'd say bullet choice might depend on if you want to preserve the pelts. Otherwise, any .223 round that gives good accuracy in your gun should do. Are you shooting a bolt gun or semiauto? In either case, like @ColtRevolver said, you'll just have to try them out in your gun. I'm sure Barnes ammo is good to go, but whether that particular round is the best choice I couldn't say.

Bolt. This 'un.

Just ordered a couple of boxes of Hornady critter killers...should be about like they swallowed a grenade.

I have not hunted varimints other than rats (and that was with a pellet gun). Let us know how this ammo selection works out for you. I would guess that soft tip would be explosive? I have no clue if it would damage the pelt or not or if that's even a concern for you.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Depends; are you trying to minimize damage to the pelts or not?

Not really. I'm mainly trying to exterminate them, but I thought I'd learn how to do it correctly in case I found anywhere that would buy the pelts.

I use 55 grain FMJ to minimize pelt damage. Otherwise, 62 grain soft points or hollow points to quickly dispatch even the largest coyotes and other varmints. I like the heavier bullet weights since most of my shots are at distance and they tend to drift less in windy conditions which is everyday here.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I shot groundhogs for years with a .30-06 using a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I currently have one .30-06 110 gr V-Max load worked up and zeroed in a rifle that is just a groundhog fun gun. I'm not collecting groundhog pelts. I don't care if there's a baseball sized hole in the back.

We are just finishing up our second cutting of hay. I'll be back long range groundhog popping in a week or two.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I shot groundhogs for years with a .30-06 using a 150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I currently have one .30-06 110 gr V-Max load worked up and zeroed in a rifle that is just a groundhog fun gun. I'm not collecting groundhog pelts. I don't care if there's a baseball sized hole in the back.

We are just finishing up our second cutting of hay. I'll be back long range groundhog popping in a week or two.

I seem to be bruising a bit easier these days, and I thought the .223 would be a bit gentler on my shoulder than my .270 or '06. Still big enough to be destructive.

Top Bottom