What's new

Variety is the spice of life, but how much is too much?

I've been doing a 2 soap/cream rotation for a couple of years now. I could do 3, but that could cause me to think about it too much. I rediscovered a half used glissant base B&M Cologne Russe that had turned rock hard. I tried rehydrating it and either it didn't work or it worked poorly compared to my current soaps. If I have a seasonal soap, I better really like it.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I have a rotation of soaps. If I am not to keen on a soap it goes to the back of the cupboard. I do like to mix it up as well as trying new soaps. I have to say that is not the way before I switched to a DE. As a straight razor shaver I was far more utilitarian using one soap until finished and only two straight razors.

Eben Stone

Staff member
60 (maybe half are samplers).
I'm going vegan with my shaving products so that will bring me down to approx 45.

I'm looking for more...

I use a "simple" soap puck during the week and a "special" one for the weekend. No rotation, just 2 soaps at time. Currently Palmolive Stick and WSP Rustic Gaelic Tweed. Same for AS, Epsilon Scottish Spirit and Razorock Irish Countryside. I have 40 unused soaps, but some are duplicates and others bought during sales always as a stock. Here it isn't easy to find hard soaps and I bought them from Canada and England.

My selection gets smaller and smaller as I continue to zero in on what I like the best. I’ve gravitated strongly towards the dense Italien style creams. The performance, scent and convenience of these creams is top notch for me. 4-7 seems like the ideal number. Any more and a pleasure starts to become a chore. It’s nice to actually finish things from time to time. It’s only when you’ve finished something that you’ve really gotten your full moneys worth.

Last edited:
I have about 30 and it’s too many for me. About 7 of those I haven’t tried yet but will over the next couple months.

Barring any amazing finds I have my list narrowed down to about 10 that I will keep replacing. Ironically what I have found (in my roughly 10 year journey) works best for me isn’t the higher end soaps. Stirling, RR (IB) and the more mass produced stuff (Cella, La Toja,etc) works best with my skin. I guess that’s a good thing as it saves me money!

I will but MdC before I die though and I hope I hate it.😂

With all this said, I have no problem with ppl buying as many soaps as they want. It supports ppl in the wet shaving industry and hopefully leads to even better products. It’s no different than other things ppl collect. Do I need all this wine and whiskey? No but I like the variety and collecting side. To each their own!

Well i went through my collection and I was able to get rid of a few soaps that just weren't my thing. I will probably give them away if i find someone interested in getting started.

This puts me at a tub of Proraso red and white, a tube of proraso green, a puck of gentleman jon sandalwood, and a puck of van der hagen sweetwood.

I have 4 sample pucks coming from a local shop, and i also ordered a tub of Margaritas in the arctic to try for the summer months. All this puts me at one puck, one soft soap and one cream in daily rotation, with 1 tub of soft soap 3 hard pucks, a 4 samples in storage.

I think i will call that good and only replace more when needed. If i can restrain from trying another new scent that is

I currently have 3 soaps and 3 creams in my rotation: One hard soap (Fine Green Vetiver), one croap (Razorock Blu Barber), a sample of Stirling Barbershop, Proraso green and white creams, and Musgo Real Classic cream. Ultimately, I think 1 hard soap, 1 crop, and 3 creams would be enough.

linty1

My wallet cries.
I'm a one at a time soap user, although I have a cream open for when I'm in a rush, and a menthol one for when I feel like it, but my main driver is one soap at a time (like we're talking 97% of the time). But I have.. maybe 8? soaps waiting in the cupboard to be used. Shipping to Canada tends to be pricey (although less so than it used to be, with quite a few vendors having flat rates now and/or free shipping thresholds) so when I -do- buy soaps its frequently in 4-5 batches.

I have 3, sort of.. MWF for daily use. Gillette pure because I like using it on occasion. I also use sticks for travel which was ~15 weeks/yr pre COVID. I have a whole case of Arko because of a $8.50 Black Friday sale. But they’ll do and I really like Arko for travel. I’ve used them in hotels all over the US including HI, AK, and Guam; Asia, Australia, and Europe and Arko just works. Never a problem.

Most of the time I use MWF and will likely use the Pure next.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
It is a strange question to ask on B&B “how much is too much”.

A multi millionaire was once asked what was the best feeling when you earned your first million or was it the last million. His answer was “the next million”.
I can relate to that answer 🥸🥸🥸

Here on B&B, you may get banned for asking a question like that.
Just kidding, the answer to "How much is too much?" is:
One more if you're a minimalist.
Otherwise, it's probably some complicated mathematical equation like (how many times a week you shave) + (blade life) ÷ (number of brushes), taking into account the square root of duplicate supplies, x 3017.

Somehow i have accumulated 36 pucks of soap. It all kind of crept up on me before I realised this will last for years and years. Instinctively id say I have too much, but assuming they dont go off, they will all be used. Id love to say i wont buy more but I have my eye on some Czech and Speake for an upcoming birthday.

When i read the 3017 thread I changed from rotating to (mostly) sticking with one soap until the bitter end. I was surprised just how much better the shaves are when a hard soap is regularly hydrated with use and also how repeated use allows you to dial it in. That said, i do keep popping back to my MWF every week or so because that soap is amazing for me.

So, I have been really enjoying my soaps lately. It is nice to have a variety to keep things interesting. Its nice having a variety that i can match to my mood too, as weird as that sounds.

I must admit though, i have purchased about 6 different soaps in the past week. I ordered red and white Proraso last week and today I found Mama Bear soaps which is a local business not far from where I live.i decided to give her some support I ordered 4 smaller pucks from her this morning.

That brings my total collection to about 11 different soaps. This may not sound like a huge number to some people, but my wife rolled her eyes.

How many soaps are in your rotation? Do you use up a whole puck or tub before trying something new, or do you have a never ending variety?

Do you have a number that you consider too much for soaps?

Curious to hear thoughts!

I'm down to using MWF, mainly. I also use Tabac every now and then to add some variety whenever I feel like it. I got multiple refills of both in hand. I had lots of different soaps at some point, but got rid of them. I'm happy with two.

Last edited:
I am still experimenting and I like variety. I never use a soap more than once a week. I think I have about nine soaps with a new puck and a new shave stick inbound. My plan is to eventually get it down to about 7 of my favorites but there are so many that I haven't tried! Yesterday I used my favorite, Pre de Provence No 63 (with matching balm and EDT) and I was snuggling with my wife afterwards. She said "You smell so good. Why don't you just use this one?". I guess I am trying to find 6 more that I like (and she likes!) as much or more.

Top Bottom