What's new

Variety is the spice of life, but how much is too much?

Received a tub of SV Desert Vetiver last week. That combined with 4 wtp's and 7 croaps divided between Stirling, Noble Otter, and Murphy and McNeil really should provide for my shaving needs for the next decade. I will probably stay with SV if I'm still alive once my current stock is used up.

Something in the neighborhood of 30 soaps. Last years I try to keep it to big samples or I buy a jar and share with a shaving buddy who does the same.
in practice a jar is rarely completely used. And sometimes I collect and blend the leftovers to a frankensoap.

I'm currently using 2 creams, 2 soaps and always have some Proraso green around. It's tough to not splurge, but I try to use up what I have before ordering more, but sometimes I get weak.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Shaving soaps are really my only weakness in life.

My wife and I chose to live a simple lifestyle overall. Rarely travel, eat out maybe once a month, don't do the whole gift thing (neither give nor receive. Explaining it to friends was awkward but they got it).

I have 70 soaps and it's basically my only "hobby". It's something that really gives me some daily enjoyment and a little something to look forward to each morning.

I had horrendous experiences shaving in my early twenties. By evening my neck would be glowing bright red and so itchy that I had to apply my wife's moisturiser just to be able to sleep!

Growing a beard was never an option as it doesn't suit me at all.

So I'm extremely grateful for traditional wet shaving. It's had such a positive impact on my life!

My soap usage:
I rotate my soaps Mon-Fri.
Saturday is SV day (I rotate through 8 of their soaps)
Sunday is Woolfat.

I'm a utilitarian shaver (as opposed to a hobbyist) so having one soap that consistently works well is all I need. I don't mind branching out and experimenting from time to time but, when I do, it's purpose-driven. I don't much care what a soap smells like, as long as it's not offensive. This being the case I don't really have a "rotation". I have some samples I'm trying out right now but if none them are better than what I'm using now those samples will get tossed and I'll go back to using my current go-to.

I don't feel compelled to finish a tub/sample/whatever if it's not working for me. At that point it becomes "clutter" and I have a low threshold for clutter. Life's too short and soap (generally speaking) is too cheap to use something that's not working, especially when I know I have something else that does.

Not really but I don't see myself having more than one because it will be one that works consistently and that's all I really need. I feel the same way about everything shaving-related (razors, brushes, et al). If I accumulate to much of anything, too much "stuff" just generally speaking, I start getting a sense of generalized anxiety.
Variety can be good but not if it leads to "option paralysis".

Once upon a time I was on a Dutch forum and one of the members had a pantry with way over 200 different soaps. For me the limit is in how much space it eats.

I'm one of those soapoholics that could use a different soap for each day of the year.... Have been thinking of trying this out to see how far I can go without repeating a particular soap. At the beginning soaps were and still are the driving force behind Wet Shaving passion for this hobby so went CRAZY and ended up with a stupid amount of soaps/creams but have made this a hobby rather than the whole "saving money" that gets most of us started wet shaving in the first place lol it can be done but have enjoyed the journey along the way meeting some great people that share a common interest.

26.... which is about 16 too many for me. Sometimes I look at my horde and get anxiety thinking about when I'll use all of them and honestly it annoys me when I use one i don't like as much as another because I feel I have to. I should just get rid of the soaps I'm not in love with. Funny thing is I did the same thing with fragrances years ago. I now have 50+ bottles that are 90% full! Obviously I didn't learn from it!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I understand the reason some people like a variety of soaps. There are so many different fragrances out there. I don't like soap fragrances, so I have three pretty neutral soaps and one with a bit more hmmmm strength but still not overpowering. So I'm content with soaps.

I can see myself getting a couple more brushes.... and maybe even another shaving/lathering bowl.... we'll see.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I had 27 at one point last year, it gave me a headache choosing what to use next. After going on a 3017 bender I am down to 22 and hoping to bring that to under 20 this year although 10-15 would be better.
I still buy soaps, but have only bought 1 this year

Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom