What's new

Variations among the Aust models?

I was talking with a very respected razor seller and honer and asked him about the Austs.

He said that to him, the
6/8 with spanish point is the nicest (thinnest) blank coming from DE at the present. He pointed me toward:

OXID eShop 4 | 6/8" razor with spanisch crown | purchase online

This was a surprise. I had thought the blades themselves were the same. I was about to choose one just because I wanted shoulderless, for ease of honing. I'd rather avoid a shoulder and a spanish point. But is this where the best actual blank is found?

What i mean is, apart from the features of width or spanish point, etc, is the above listed 6/8 spanish point indeed a better actual razor than other Austs?

Thanks

proxy.php

I have a 6/8 shoulderless, round nose Aust and think it’s fantastic. I say get what you think you want to drive and you’ll be happy driving it.

Can't claim I tried more than one I own, but I'd agree with above, pick one you like and get it.

I have 5/8 "basic" model and it's excellent, fantastic shaver. My expectations were somewhat high, given love and praise most here have for Ralf Aust razors, and still was quite impressed.

I've got 5/8, 6/8 (thumb notch) and 7/8. They are all top of the line razors. I would be very surprised if Herr Aust used different blanks given the size.

Top Bottom