What's new

Variable performance...

Loaded a new blade yesterday, my usual gillette 7 o'clock yellow.
Shave was variable - one side fine, the other side, well, very much not fine.
Completed just using the good side then came to change the blade for a new one today and found this:

20201127_121339.jpg

Rusty on one edge!
Anyone come across this before?

Just to add to this I should point out that this was after one shave only
I usually get around 7 shaves from a blade and no rust present when I come to change it

I don't leave my blades in the razor. I disassemble and rinse razor and blade. On the blade I shake off the water and drop into a shot glass I keep on the counter for just such a purpose. The razor I wipe with a towel.

Loaded a new blade yesterday, my usual gillette 7 o'clock yellow.
Shave was variable - one side fine, the other side, well, very much not fine.
Completed just using the good side then came to change the blade for a new one today and found this:

View attachment 1187553

Rusty on one edge!
Anyone come across this before?
Do you dry your blade between shaves? I’m talking about lay it on a towel and use the other end of the towel to blot it dry.

Do you dry your blade between shaves? I’m talking about lay it on a towel and use the other end of the towel to blot it dry.

I don't but then I never have and not had any trouble whatsoever previously.

As I mentioned though, this blade felt bad on one side right from the first (and only) shave and looked like this when I came to it

I don't but then I never have and not had any trouble whatsoever previously.

As I mentioned though, this blade felt bad on one side right from the first (and only) shave and looked like this when I came to it
Looks like some moisture got to it in storage. How did the second blade look?

It looked fine putting it in, didn't use it today as shave dwith a diferent razor.

Guess tomorrow we'll find out if the whole tuck is ruined

I bought some from A....n; put one in....and horrible shave; aborted. Then I checked randomly.....all the same.....they look like yours.....since it was bought a while ago....it's a loss. Won't buy em again.....

The blade I replaced it with was better but still not upto the level I am accustomed to from the 7 o'clock yellows. Got 3 shaves out of it then changed - no rust this time though.
The next blade from the tuck had it's 3rd shave today and I'll be changing for tomorrow.
All of them so far have had a better side and a worse side.
It seems the one I posted the pic of was the worst of all of them but the whole tuck has definitely been sub par.
The odd part is that it was from a 100 blade purchase. I'm about 60% of the way through them and have had 1 or 2 bad blades but not a whole tuck before

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I had a tuck of Gillette Blacks with three bad edges. But if I found rust on the first day I'd be looking for a replacement tuck from the vendor.

Top Bottom