What's new

Vaping, second attempt

Will my cigar lighter work instead of a butane torch? Alright that seems easy enough, I am guessing I need an extra ohm reader that isn't my box mod?

Which RDA would you recommend? Looking one for flavour, one for clouds, if there is a difference.

Yeah, you can use a cigar lighter. I've done it. Typically I'll pull a length of wire off the spool, hold the end in pliers, and run the lighter down the length, going slow enough to let it glow. As long as you can keep the lighter going for long enough to do that, it'll be fine.

If you don't have to fire your mod to get it to show the resistance attached, that'll work. I use my wife's MVP to check my builds.

Hopefully Jason will chime in on RDA suggestions. The Mutation X is great for clouds. I like the Magma for flavor, but I'm sure there are others that are better.

ETA: I should have looked farther down before I posted...

Last edited:
Yeah, you can use a cigar lighter. I've done it. Typically I'll pull a length of wire off the spool, hold the end in pliers, and run the lighter down the length, going slow enough to let it glow. As long as you can keep the lighter going for long enough to do that, it'll be fine.

If you don't have to fire your mod to get it to show the resistance attached, that'll work. I use my wife's MVP to check my builds.

Hopefully Jason will chime in on RDA suggestions. The Mutation X is great for clouds. I like the Magma for flavor, but I'm sure there are others that are better.

ETA: I should have looked farther down before I posted...

I just have to click the fire button, don't think it actually fires, and it gives me the resistance.

Mutation X and Magma, will check them out.

Still curious what gauge wire to go with?

What is TEMCo Kanthal? Also explain the different sizes to me please.
Lastly Ohm reader, I have one built into the mod. Good enough or invest in a separate one?

TEMCo is an industrial supply store that sells kanthal. It's considered the easiest wire to work with, meaning no need to torch it before you wrap your coils.

For gauges... Higher Gauge = smaller diameter & higher ohm; Smaller Gauge = larger diameter & lower ohm. 28G is a nice starting point.

You'll want a separate ohm reader. If you have a bad short, you can potentially fry your box mod's chip. So, it's more prudent to check it on an ohm reader first before firing it up on your device.

TEMCo is an industrial supply store that sells kanthal. It's considered the easiest wire to work with, meaning no need to torch it before you wrap your coils.

For gauges... Higher Gauge = smaller diameter & higher ohm; Smaller Gauge = larger diameter & lower ohm. 28G is a nice starting point.

You'll want a separate ohm reader. If you have a bad short, you can potentially fry your box mod's chip. So, it's more prudent to check it on an ohm reader first before firing it up on your device.

Alright will check out an ohm reader then, wish they had a sampler pack here in the UK rather than coming in 100ft packages.

Last edited:
With a variable wattage device like the T6, having a low resistance build isn't necessary. I'm not sure exactly how the T6 works, it may require a lower build to hit some of the higher wattage settings, but otherwise, your (let's say) 50W on a 1ohm build (or any other resistance) is roughly the same as a 0.35ohm build on a mech with a fresh battery. The difference between the two ends up being the surface area of the coil, and that's where regulated devices shine. You can put a higher ohm build on (which gets you more surface area) and power it at the same level that a mechanical would require a lower ohm build to achieve.

By using a higher ohm build, you'll get longer battery life as well. I don't know how much, it may not be that significant, but by using more voltage and less current to achieve a particular power level, you draw less from your batteries.

Now I just have to decide if I want to get a RDA before leaving on holidays, I am leaning towards no because I don't really have the funds for all the gear associated with it. And without it I will probably do something stupid.

Got a Mutation V2 Clone today, this thing is madness!!!!
Absolute beast. Love it. After Christmas I will be looking for an ohm reader, and some wire and cotton so I can rebuild it myself.
Also got shown how to rebuild a Atlantis coil, but as the guy said, he can't see me doing it because I don't have the patience.
I will just buy replacement coils for it, much easier. RDA's are much easier to build.

Top Bottom