What's new

Vaping, Jumping in head first, with both feet

no kanthal yet, local place has it and the meters, figured id pick it up there. wasnt sure what gauge but 28 seemed to be a good place to start. I am familiar with Ohms law, im a college drop out, but I was a second and a half year Electro Mechanical engineer drop out lol... heck my calculator was programmed to play tetris,... now theres an app for that dangit

and thanks for the tips on the Juice, it seems like as good of a place to start as any.

btw I did drop a higher VG (But i dont know %) in my Nautilus Mini, and man did i get a lot of burnt hits, I thought I did somethign wrong till I went looking, that mini tank does not play well with like all but one of my juices I have if i pull on it to hard or to long in succession

is that bad juice or just the deal that comes with tanks like that ?

no kanthal yet, local place has it and the meters, figured id pick it up there. wasnt sure what gauge but 28 seemed to be a good place to start. I am familiar with Ohms law, im a college drop out, but I was a second and a half year Electro Mechanical engineer drop out lol... heck my calculator was programmed to play tetris,... now theres an app for that dangit

and thanks for the tips on the Juice, it seems like as good of a place to start as any.

btw I did drop a higher VG (But i dont know %) in my Nautilus Mini, and man did i get a lot of burnt hits, I thought I did somethign wrong till I went looking, that mini tank does not play well with like all but one of my juices I have if i pull on it to hard or to long in succession

is that bad juice or just the deal that comes with tanks like that ?

Good, you've got the familiarity from school to know what's going on then. I've got a Computer Engineering degree (half Electrical Engineering, half Computer Science), definitely makes getting going with a rebuildable much easier.

Buying Kanthal and a meter locally is a good idea. 28ga is a good place to start, 6-8 wraps on a 2mm allen wrench or drill bit will easily put you in a safe range. You might want to pick up some 26ga as well, that will allow you to build your coils a bit lower if you decide that's where you want to go. Those are the two gauges that I use the most.

As for the high VG juice in your Nautilus Mini, that doesn't completely surprise me. Did you give the wick some time to saturate (about 10 minutes) before you tried vaping on it? Taking some primer puffs (draws on the tank without firing your mod) will also help to saturate the wicking material. Do this on the smallest air hole for best results. Sometimes I'll pull the drip tip off of my wife's Nautilus and put a couple of drops of juice right down into the coil to help get it saturated as well. Tanks generally do better with thinner juice, 50/50 PG VG works well in tanks without being super high in PG.

i had the burn hits after letting it sit for 30 minutes... but i didnt prime it, and i think i had a previous burn hit that may have left behind some bad taste. I panicked a bit as I didnt know what was going on and thought my tank was going bad, i tried three coils trying to fix ot before a YouTube video explained it inadvertently.

and i was looking to build coils at least for now at around 1-1.5 ohms but i shall see as i get into it

btw with Ohms law... am i only looking to not exceed the capabilities of the battery's amp output ?

btw with Ohms law... am i only looking to not exceed the capabilities of the battery's amp output ?

With a decent amount of room to spare. Like if your battery is 10A, don't run it up to 9A. You want a safety buffer there.

Oh... and Grizzly Vapes over at SteamMonkey makes awesome juices as well. The Bears line is probably my favorite juice... especially Nanner Bear.

That's correct, making sure that you aren't going to over-stress your battery and have a potential catastrophic failure.

This is a site that I use all the time when building coils. The Coil Wrapping section works well for planning my builds and getting them about where I want. 1.0 - 1.5 ohms isn't a bad place to start, but keep in mind that your Atlantis uses a 0.5 ohm coil, so you may find that 1.0 - 1.5 ohms is a bit underwhelming. The nice thing is, if you decide you aren't happy with it, it's easy enough to rebuild it.

http://www.steam-engine.org/

so the store was out of all the wire except 32 apparently the guy for some reason sold a tonne of it today and ran out before i got there... so he gave me a couple of coils he had made up to tide me over till he gets the site back in next week

Ya I did, These coils were 1 ohm each, so I went with a single coil which was showing just over an Ohm

First time but it works

$IMG_20141210_181224.jpg
$IMG_20141210_181157.jpg
$IMG_20141210_181202.jpg

it has less taste then my atlanty (my new name for it) but its a cooler vape so im guessing its the coil

But its so cool

it has less taste then my atlanty (my new name for it) but its a cooler vape so im guessing its the coil

But its so cool

A 1 ohm coil would definite be cooler. After a while though, you'll probably find the Atlantis to be cool as well. I never thought I'd want to vape at 15W when I first started. Now 60W, with an RDA with good airflow, is normal to me.

I've got a VAMO V6 and a couple of VAMO V5s, which are pretty much the same thing.

I don't know your atomizer, but I now own about 20 different types of them and their outputs are different - so you really can't judge your V6 using just one type.

The standard 1.6ml ones that come with regular EGO e-cig batteries work pretty well on the VAMO, as do various other larger ones.
Then there are other ones which seem to let more air in - so that you get lots more vapor, but you lose out on the taste side. I find them unsatisfying after a while (I'm pretty sure it's the air flow, since the VAMOs show the atomizers with different outputs often having pretty much the same resistance).

To date I think my best one for a big hit, closest to a real cigarette, is an atomiser called JustFog 1453. It makes lots of vapour without losing flavour the way others do. Whereas on a typical EGO cigarette 1.6ml lasts nearly a day for me, in the JustFog unit - smoking at the same rate - its 1.6ml capacity only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half. Anyhow, I'm sure there are plenty of similar type atomizers around.

The other issue I've been having is with battery chargers. I've got one dual one that came with the V5 which is meant to charge both 18350s and 18650s. One terminal seems to charge its battery much better than the other. So I bought a single one for the 18650, and it doesn't seem to charge as well as the single side of the dual one. I noticed in specs for these chargers that some have output of 3.7V while other have output of 4.2V - which may well implications for fully charging these 3.7V batteries. So I've just ordered a more expensive charger which specifies 4.2V output.

I don't think you'll see much difference between using the 18350 and 18650 batteries. I'd have thought that using two 18350s which together deliver 7.4V would be noticeably more different to using the 3.7V 18650. But I can't see any difference at the same voltage setting on the unit. The manual says that the V6 stops working when the 18650 drops top 3V and when the two 18350s drop to 6V. It must be a smart unit to know that it has two 18350s in it which have dropped to 6V, rather than just waiting for them combined to drop to 3V.
Regards,
Renato

Last edited:
what mod do you use Luke ?

I've been using a Nurz Box Troll lately (available on facebook in the Nurz Box group if you're interested). It uses a GE Raptor 10A voltage regulator. Strictly variable voltage. I built one this summer using the same chip, but my box was falling apart so I decided to buy one instead of building another. Generally I've got a Paradigm Magma RDA on top built to about 0.5-0.6 ohms. I usually have it set to about 40W with the Magma. I've got a Tugboat RDA clone that I use sometimes as well. I'll usually run that at about 60W.

Last edited:
I need kenthal for the dripper, local place will have it back in stock this week. I have some juice on the way, amd I still havent bought a pack of smokes since the atlantis showed up which I still very much like. so all in all good times had by most

Top Bottom