What's new

VanDerHagen Deluxe

I started out with a 12 pack of VDH deluxe. It has a mild smell. Not bad at all, just mild. It works fine. I bought a second 12 pack but halfway though started using other soaps and cremes and I haven't used it for a while. You can get the per puck price down to about $1.50 with those 12 packs though so it's a good value.

When available, it's about $3/puck in my local stores.

When glycerin is listed as an ingredient on a soap ingredients list, it means extra glycerin was added to it. But all soaps have glycerin.
That is not absolutely true. A soap made from pure fatty acids (stearic acid, oleic acid, myristic acid, etc.) and sodium or potassium hydroxide would have no glycerin. Soaps made from triglycerides (tallow, palm oil, coconut oil, etc.) will naturally contain glycerine. I can't be entirely certain of this, but the ingredients list for Van der Hagen suggests that it has no glycerine.

Just to add, VDH soaps aren't actually soap, they are synthetic detergents. This is probably why their glycerin soap is distinguished because they have added it as an ingredient as the synthetic surfactants don't have glycerin as a byproduct like real soap does through saponification.

That said, I find them to be great shaving "soaps".

All this talk made me take out my VDH deluxe which came in its nice green bowl and lather it up with a VDH badger brush. Its been ages that it was hidden behind artisan soaps and shaving cream. With a Rockwell on plate 4, it was a fantastic no-nonsense BBS shave. These store products do work very well. Alas! these damn artisans have made us a spoilt lot! :)

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

All this talk made me take out my VDH deluxe which came in its nice green bowl and lather it up with a VDH badger brush. Its been ages that it was hidden behind artisan soaps and shaving cream. With a Rockwell on plate 4, it was a fantastic no-nonsense BBS shave. These store products do work very well. Alas! these damn artisans have made us a spoilt lot! :)

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I love that green bowl, I've had so many different soaps in that over the years. Currently, my puck of AOS Sandalwood fits in there just fine (well, I had to push it a little, but it was just soft enough to give way and go all the way in).

I’ve been using shaving soaps and brushes for about 5 years, and DE razors for about half that time. I started using VDH Luxury soap, but started using Sterling, Captains Choice, Proraso, Taylor of Old Bond Street, and others. What I discovered is that although the other products were fun to try, VDH Luxury works as good as any of them, and I could spend more on various aftershaves and colognes instead. So now, I use VDH Luxury and finish with any of my aftershaves because they don’t clash with the scent of the soap.

Thanks for the info fellow shavers. I’ll check out the Fred Meyers and Wal Mart stores and see if they carry the deluxe. Actually I have pricier creams and soaps that I love and will always use in my stash but currently am madly curious about this brand. We have soft water up here in Oregon so it’s easy to get a nice lather from a soap. And that’s what surprised me about the lowest priced one, the Glycerin. A good lather with decent cushion.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Razorhead:
Again, glad you like the soap...it's a real solid performer.
proxy.php

My first soap was Williams and I was a Deluxe man for a long, long while until I tried the Luxury Scented and
proxy.php
...what a difference!! :w00t:

The Luxury Scented out-shinned the Deluxe (which was then my 'go-to' soap), in terms of ingredients, lather, lubrication, cushion, glide and scent. I also add 10 drops of glycerin per puck (and about 6 drops of Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin, Brandy Spice or Whiskey Woods), before I melt it (nuke), for 'Überlather', extra lubrication, cushion, glide and scent . :thumbsup:

Read More: VDH Luxury Scented Soap Reviews

Read More: Post your VDH experiments Here

Read More: The Van Der Hagen Society

"It's time to start shaving like a Van der Hagen man". VDH Slogan

The VDH Deluxe was my first shave soap & it did an OK job for me with good protection. The VDH Luxury is a couple steps above the Deluxe in slickness. I used it today & my shave was as good as B&M & Catie's Bubbles IMO.

Thanks again guys for the responses. We do have a Wal Mart grocery store in town here. I’ll see if the Luxury version is there! Not a bad deal!

I've used the deluxe since my beginning of d.e.shaving along with poraso green and it was my go to soap. I just switched to the luxury scented and really love it. Lots of thick slick lather.

Just a follow up from my last post, I used the Deluxe version today. Maybe I am just getting better at making later, but I feel the Delux made a thicker lather more quickly. Not sure why.

Just bought the luxury and delux versions of VDH soaps to see which I prefer.
Let me know! I haven't tried Deluxe. Can't find it locally.

Oops, just saw your folowup Post.

I do like VDH Luxury though. I have some soaps with better face feel. But it produces Great lather, and I like the scent!

Last edited:
The VDH Deluxe & Luxury are great shave soaps for me. Easy to lather & doesn't dissipate while shaving. Stirling soap dries my face out far worse than VDH Luxury.

The VDH Deluxe & Luxury are great shave soaps for me. Easy to lather & doesn't dissipate while shaving. Stirling soap dries my face out far worse than VDH Luxury.

I have no other experience than VDH, but it might be the best kept secret of all time. I paid less than $2 for the deluxe locally.

Top Bottom