What's new

Vanderhagen Blades: no complaints from me!

Two more shaves with the VDH and I can't get enthused. It's duller than I like and was tugging a bit more ATG in shave 2 and 3. For me there are better blades for the money. These are made in Germany and ice tempered. Are they made by Timor or the same company that makes Timor. I don't recall a lot of Timor love either.
I do believe you are right. They seem to be Timor repackaged. Even their higher end SS razors I believe are Timor. I could be wrong.

I've used a couple of 5pks of these and the first came with the razor I bought and the second was to see if they were any better and maybe different after getting stamped with their brand (the first set wasn't)....$3 for 5 blades just isn't worth it for these blades. I've pif'd the razor (which I'm told broke apart after some use) and the blades are just not smooth to me in any razor I've put them in...new or a couple days after first use. I just can't recommend them if you're looking for comfort or value.

Old thread, but wanted to add my 2 cents. I used a VDH blade for the first time recently, and blade was completely dulled by the 3rd shave. One of the worst shaves I've had in years. They should stick to their soap, which isn't bad.

I'll jump in on this thread revival too!

Mine lasted 4-5 shaves, and were the first DE blades I used. They were a good enough springboard into this hobby, but as soon as I looked to buy more, they just seemed too expensive. I could buy a 100 pack of something else for the cost of 20 or 30 VDH "ice hardened" blades.

I tend towards the minimalist shaving philosophy, at least as far as acquisitions go, and I hate wasting shaving equipment that I have on hand. I'm working through a tuck of VdH blades right now because it's what I have until I decide what I want to order next. They aren't the best blades in the world, but they can get the job done.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Every blade made has some faces/beards that like them. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to try them. I personally have no interest in trying every blade on the market - some combination of too lazy and a strong wish to not have a cabinet filled with 4 crappy blades from many manufacturers.

That's where the forum comes in. I read a post like this and this blade does not get on my list. Another post will have many shavers singing the praises of a different blade and that blade goes on my list. Sure, I still buy blades that don't work for me, but I feel like I've got a head start on the process.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Every blade made has some faces/beards that like them. Unfortunately, the only way to find out is to try them. I personally have no interest in trying every blade on the market - some combination of too lazy and a strong wish to not have a cabinet filled with 4 crappy blades from many manufacturers.

That's where the forum comes in. I read a post like this and this blade does not get on my list. Another post will have many shavers singing the praises of a different blade and that blade goes on my list. Sure, I still buy blades that don't work for me, but I feel like I've got a head start on the process.
I had been wanting to try out a VDH razor ever since I started my wet shaving journey. Even though I already have plenty of much nicer razors, I still wanted to try one out and since it came with blades I tried them out also.

After a surprisingly comfortable shave with the VDH razor and VDH blade, I tried the VDH blade in 6 different razors and it performed comfortably in all of them, including my my Karve razors, and my WR2 0.95.

~doug~

Top Bottom