What's new

Van Der Hagen with Lanolin

I mixed one puck of van der hagen deluxe soap with one table spoon of anhydrous pure lanolin. Microwaved into my shave bowl and let harden.

I use a shaving bowl and had to load the brush two times instead of one to make lather. The lather was very thick, clinging to the side of the bowl.

I use a 39C Merkur barber pole and the shave was excellent and very slick, with very little drag. I have a heavy beard.

My face feels very soft after the shave, much better than the van der hagen deluxe felt before the lanolin was added.

VDH Deluxe is a great base soap for experimental mixes. Melts nicely with a few short bursts in the microwave.

I once made a superlathering soap with VDH melted, a few globs of C.O. Bigelow and some Brut A.S. splash mixed in.

Someone on here named it for me: Van der Brutalow. :laugh:

Lathered like crazy, felt COOOOOOOOOOL and smelled good too.

I might try an Ivy Club one next time.

Most soaps with lanolin have about 2 % lanolin - with a 50 g puck that's 1 gram of lanolin. My guess is that a tablespoon of lanolin weighs more than a gram - that might be the reason for it being harder to lather.

Most soaps with lanolin have about 2 % lanolin - with a 50 g puck that's 1 gram of lanolin. My guess is that a tablespoon of lanolin weighs more than a gram - that might be the reason for it being harder to lather.

I added the second puck of Vanderhagen. You were right, there was too much lanolin. The lather is much better now.

Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom