What's new

Van Der Hagen "Whipped" shaving cream

This came up on my Instagram Feed.. my only thought is.. I wonder if it lathers with a brush? :)

From the VDH website:

"Light as a feather, and soft as a cloud.
Whipped Shave Crème is a light and airy shaving crème designed to help reduce razor burn and skin irritation while shaving. Enriched with Shea, Mango, Avocado, and Cocoa Butters whipped to perfection to apply smoothly to the skin to improve razor glide and leave skin feeling soft & supple."

VDH_Whipped.JPG

Of course there’s no photo of the instructions on the back. :a7: It’s on Instagram so I commented on the post asking whether or not it’s a brush product. Their social media team will probably reply shortly. It’s not being distributed in brick and mortar stores yet anyway.

Nine bucks for eight ounces. Roughly competitive pricing, I suppose. Better than AoS

Of course there’s no photo of the instructions on the back. :a7: It’s on Instagram so I commented on the post asking whether or not it’s a brush product. Their social media team will probably reply shortly. It’s not being distributed in brick and mortar stores yet anyway.

Nine bucks for eight ounces. Roughly competitive pricing, I suppose. Better than AoS
Asked them once on Twitter and once on Facebook. No answer. Willing to bet the answer is no. Just my deductive reasoning.

If you want something "whipped", get a can of the Walmart Generic Shave Gel. Squirt about a quarter-sized dab into your bowl. Notice that it immediately begins to foam up. Add a pea-sized dab of Cremo, and begin lathering with a damp brush, adding a few drops of water until it blooms into a rich and extremely dense lather. It's cheaper than the Van der Hagen, too.

I found this stuff at T.J. Maxx for $4.99. It's an 8oz tub of cream. Creamier than Cremo. Not as thick as Nivea Creme (moisturizer). Scent is very light, if there's any at all. It's relatively dense, so don't be scared by the "whipped" and "airy" terms on the packaging. While Cremo tends to create some bubbles if you agitate it, this just spreads on your skin to give a slightly opaque coating of, well, creme. Slickness seemed good. Will have to test further.

It does not lather, but it does get soaked up into the brush never to be seen again!

As an experiment, I used it as a pre-shave but only for a test lather. No blade to the face yet. I applied some of the stuff, and then lathered up some Stirling "Coniferous". Usually if I do a "practice" lather with Stirling, my skin is pretty dry afterwards and in need of some balm or moisturizer. With this stuff applied first, my skin actually feels pretty damn good.

I'll use a blade next time, for science.

For reference, I dislike Cremo immensely. This seems like it might actually be usable.

Mix equal parts of Cremo and Lea, Palmolive, Nivea or any number of creams and whip it up with a brush. It makes a dense & slick lather. Try it, Guaranteed you'll change your mind.

I found this stuff at T.J. Maxx for $4.99. It's an 8oz tub of cream. Creamier than Cremo. Not as thick as Nivea Creme (moisturizer). Scent is very light, if there's any at all. It's relatively dense, so don't be scared by the "whipped" and "airy" terms on the packaging. While Cremo tends to create some bubbles if you agitate it, this just spreads on your skin to give a slightly opaque coating of, well, creme. Slickness seemed good. Will have to test further.

It does not lather, but it does get soaked up into the brush never to be seen again!

As an experiment, I used it as a pre-shave but only for a test lather. No blade to the face yet. I applied some of the stuff, and then lathered up some Stirling "Coniferous". Usually if I do a "practice" lather with Stirling, my skin is pretty dry afterwards and in need of some balm or moisturizer. With this stuff applied first, my skin actually feels pretty damn good.

I'll use a blade next time, for science.

For reference, I dislike Cremo immensely. This seems like it might actually be usable.
How did it work out? I saw a tub at Marshall's but opted to skip it thanks to the Amazon page that stated this was a shave butter (https://www.amazon.com/Van-Hagen-Whipped-Shave-Crème/dp/B081VVDQ43).

Attachments

• 2E88A70D-D2F6-43EB-80E5-A648A12D7645.jpeg
    2E88A70D-D2F6-43EB-80E5-A648A12D7645.jpeg
    454.5 KB · Views: 9
Well, I shaved once after using it as a pre-shave, which isn't enough to come to any conclusion. It's been sitting in the shower ever since. I think my wife used it once on her legs and wasn't impressed. She usually just uses bar soap.

Top Bottom