What's new

Van Der Hagen + Grandpa Pine tar

So I am new to wet shaveing, and wasn't getting a very good lather. Using the Van Der Hagen shave soap from target. So I decided to grind it up and throw in some of Grandpa's Wonder Pine Tar Soap (because believe it or not I like the smell) Hear is the lather I got. $c1.jpg$c2.jpg

I dont have much to compare it to considering Im new to wet shaving with a DE. but it is much better than the straight Van Der Hagen. much Thicker, and much more slick. Also a 100% better than the Gel that I used to shave with :)

I dont have much to compare it to considering Im new to wet shaving with a DE. but it is much better than the straight Van Der Hagen. much Thicker, and much more slick. Also a 100% better than the Gel that I used to shave with :)

You should be able to get great lather with VDH alone; try making the brush slightly wetter and loading it for a longer time. But if the combination works for you, go for it.

I am new to wet shaving also, I have the same soap. It took some experimenting but, I now have the same quality of lather. I have a Kuerig, I put purified water into the machine, dispense the water into a bowel; set my VDH Pure Badger brush into it, hope in the shower, give the brush one good shake and start to work up the lather, takes about 4-5 minutes of dipping back into the water bowel and changing directions several times. I love the scent too, so clean.

Coal tar for psoriasis! But it was the first thing I thought, too.

If you found something to make VDH slicker and thicker, you have a winner!

EDIT: After searching, I see that there are pine tar products touted as psoriasis treatments. Hadn't heard that before, but I have taken coal tar baths!

Last edited:
Just FYI, putting your brush in near boiling water is one of the fastest ways to destroy it

+1 -- excessive temperature melts the glue in the knot, causing the brush to shed. If you still want to use the kettle, try cutting the boiling water with some cold water -- I typically figure that, if it's too hot to comfortably put my hand in, it's too hot to soak my brush in.

Thanks, Greek Guy & Shavely Mandan, I will cut the hot water with cool water. When I was using tap water, it was a weaker lather. I am a newbie at this and learning my way through this great skill.

Thanks, Greek Guy & Shavely Mandan, I will cut the hot water with cool water. When I was using tap water, it was a weaker lather. I am a newbie at this and learning my way through this great skill.

I'm happy to help. I'd hate to see your brush ruined, and a lot of people just don't realize that using very hot water is a culprit behind shedding.

Its possible that the difference is due to the water coming out of your Keurig is much softer (more purified) than your tap water. I have pretty hard water and don't really have any issues, but I've never used Pine Tar or VdH. Another option you can try is leaving some water to sit on the puck for a little bit, and then draining it off before you load your brush. That also may help without having to do the extra water purifying step

Top Bottom