What's new

Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shaving soap

How is the Van Der Hagen Deluxe shaving soap? How does it compare to newer soaps? I’m talking about the 2.5oz tallow base one not the vegan Luxury one from Walmart. I’m just wondering if it’s worth it to buy a couple of soaps. I got Walgreens points to use and they have a 30 percent off coupon and free shipping when using store pickup.

kingfisher beat me to it...no tallow. This from their web site:

Soap ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Sorbitol, Water, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Myristate, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice (Aloe Vera), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide, Triethanolamine, FD&C Yellow #5, F&C Red #40

My bad I was under the impression it was. I might get it just to try it, seems people prefer it to the luxury which I have used before.

Yeah, the ingredient list is a downer. That said, it performs pretty well, smells pretty good, and is cheap as chips. It's the 'soap' that I started with. Probably will never re buy, but definitely worth the cost of admission.

My take is that it's not the sexy choice, but it will get the job done at a fair price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The scent is Grey Flannel I read somewhere. Its not a bad shave soap at all IMO. Its protective enough to not give me neck irritation while some of the Big Guns do. Whats that tell ya?

Melt and pour soaps are stearic acid based (with a lot of propylene glycol and glycerine added) so they make decent shaving soaps. Similar base to Col. Conk soaps I think, and those are fine.

They lather easily in any water, but you have to watch that you get the right amount of water in the lather, else they tend to be quite sticky rather than slick, and usually won't produce the piles of whipped cream dry lather everyone seems to want. Perfectly good shaves when you get the water correct though, just like Williams.

I won't be buying any more of them, but I will use the ones I have eventually. They last a long time for me (but then all soaps and blades do).

Been using VDH Deluxe happily for a long time. Melts easily and you can add a few dashes of your favorite A/S if you like.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I bought two pucks of VDH soap about 4 years ago. They have been sitting in tubs since, but I still take one out about once or twice a year, but right back it goes after the shave. I'm just too cheap to toss them, so I guess i'll have some VDH soap forever. They lather fine, it's really just a personal preference. I really don't like the smell, and don't find it very protective for my shaves. I guess it's like Williams mug soap, some love it and some don't.

Top Bottom