What's new

Van Der Hagen brushes

My first shaving brush is a vdh badger that came in the luxury set. Since it's the only brush I have it's hard to tell for sure how good it is, but to me it feels too large and too soft. I wanted to try a boar brush since I've heard they're better in some people's opinions for hard soaps. I was thinking about buying a vdh boar brush since I can get one at a local store. I'm assuming it will be stiffer, but does anyone know how it compares size wise to the badger brush?

Avoid the VDH boar like the plague. It sheds like a dog with a bad case of mange.

My first brush was a VDH boar that came with a starter set I purchased a Walmart. It's actually a decent little brush and I still use it on a regular basis. Minimal shedding and even though it doesn't have a great deal of backbone, it face lathers just fine.

ive got three,maybe four vdh brushes.they all sport 24 mm tgn black badger knots now.i like the handle shape and size.

Attachments

• $DSCN0783.jpg
    $DSCN0783.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 91
  • $DSCN0793.jpg
    $DSCN0793.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 89
  • $DSCN0573.jpg
    $DSCN0573.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 90
I think you can get a better brush for almost the same amount of money.

My VDH boar brush has not touched a soap in over a year. He applies clubman talc now.

Never had any issues with mine shedding and used it a lot and enjoyed it. But with that being said I think mine was 1 in a million from what I've read on them. I had another one also it didnt shed badly maybe a hair every 2 shaves and liked it too but I've upgraded to nicer brushes since then. Still my favorite is my semogue owners club 2012, if you can source one then treat yourself to a great brush.

I have heard the deluxe version of the VDH boar (which has a white handle) is much better from a shedding perspective.

I have one that I bought from CVS pharmacy and it doesn't have a shedding problem. It lost about 2-3 bristles per shave for the first 2 weeks, and then 1 bristle per week for the next 2 months.

It has lots of backbone, soft tips, and no splay. The tips have no splitting though, so I suspect the brush hairs are trimmed to length. I soak it in hot tap water for 3 minutes before use.

It makes rich creamy lather because it is easy to load with soap - which it uses at a much fasterr rate than my silvertip badger.

However, the lather does not whip up as quickly or as lofty as it does with my badger. I think it's because it's so firm and narrow (no splay).

As a result, I've also been looking into buying an omega and semogue brush - which are reportedly the best boar brushes and very different in use.

The omega 10049 and semogue 1305 or 830 have good reputations as general use brushes. The less lofty omega 10066 or semogue 620 or 610 are supposedly better for face lathering. The more lofty omega 13064, semogue SOC or 2000 are supposedly better for bowl lathering.

Top Bottom