What's new

Van Der Hagen Adjustable

I was walking thru Wal-Mart a week or two ago when I noticed a new Van Der Hagen "gift set" being sold there, this time with an adjustable razor that looks A LOT like the Merkur Futur. It's only $20 or $30, and I'm kinda curious about it, as I was always curious to try the real Futur, but I wasn't about to spend the kinda money they want for one.

You can see the razor itself here: Van Der Hagen Adjustable Safety Razor-Matte Silver - https://www.vanderhagen.com/adjustable-safety-razor?product_id=180

oddly enough though, for some reason the gift set thing isn't on the website, and I can't find the razor by just browsing.

Anyway, has anybody else tried it? Is it any good? Is it worth the money?

I've only used Vintage Gillettes and a Weishi, and the blade angle on the Futur looks really weird. Is there gonna be a steep learning curve? Am I gonna hate it?

I was walking thru Wal-Mart a week or two ago when I noticed a new Van Der Hagen "gift set" being sold there, this time with an adjustable razor that looks A LOT like the Merkur Futur. It's only $20 or $30, and I'm kinda curious about it, as I was always curious to try the real Futur, but I wasn't about to spend the kinda money they want for one.

You can see the razor itself here: Van Der Hagen Adjustable Safety Razor-Matte Silver - https://www.vanderhagen.com/adjustable-safety-razor?product_id=180

oddly enough though, for some reason the gift set thing isn't on the website, and I can't find the razor by just browsing.

Anyway, has anybody else tried it? Is it any good? Is it worth the money?

I've only used Vintage Gillettes and a Weishi, and the blade angle on the Futur looks really weird. Is there gonna be a steep learning curve? Am I gonna hate it?
The same razor is sold under other names like Ming Shi 2000 and Qshave for even less. There is also an updated version with a magnetic cap and a little different shape. It's jokinly referred to as the Futul. You can search here for some reviews and discussion on it.

The same razor is sold under other names like Ming Shi 2000 and Qshave for even less. There is also an updated version with a magnetic cap and a little different shape. It's jokinly referred to as the Futul. You can search here for some reviews and discussion on it.
One can joke about this razor but the truth is, that it can give a surprisingly nice shave. I have a couple of the Merkur Futurs for comparison, and I like the Van Der Hagen clone just as much if not more. The authentic Futur seems heavy and clunky to me whereas the clone is lighter and more maneuverable. The clone may not be as long lived as the real deal, but I believe they are made out of similar materials, so who really knows for sure?

I have a Futur plus several clones and I use the clones. The Futur has gone into the drawer of shame as I find it to be just too darn aggressive.

I have the Van der Hagen adjustable. It was my second DE razor. I started with a Wilkinson Sword plastic model. The VDH worked well except it was difficult for me to shave under my nose because of the shape.

I had the MingShi branded one and found it quite smooth, actually.

Seems that some factory in China just churns these babies out and then they get rebranded who knows how many times.

As others have mentioned, you can get this exact razor on aliexpress for about half the price, and they also have ona that uses a magnet instead of the clicking mechanism to hold the top cap.

I just ordered one off Amazon Prime. Should have it tomorrow as it comes from the Amazon warehouse just a few minutes away from me. It is the chrome version. I noticed Van Der Hagen is selling the matte black razor. Same price.

I had the MingShi branded one and found it quite smooth, actually.

Seems that some factory in China just churns these babies out and then they get rebranded who knows how many times.

As others have mentioned, you can get this exact razor on aliexpress for about half the price, and they also have ona that uses a magnet instead of the clicking mechanism to hold the top cap.
Used my Merkur Futur today and the shave just was not as good as the Van Der Hagen clone. It was with a different blade, one not quite as sharp I guess. I'm loading new Nacet blades in both razors in order to have a fair shave off comparison. I should know for sure soon which is better or equal to each other. The Merkur is noticeably heavier, the clone more nimble.

Came in today via Amazon. Comes with 5 German blades and a small tube of shea butter. The razor is beautiful and appears much smaller then the Futur. The handle is 90mm and weight only 85 grams. I inserted a 7 O'Clock blade for tomorrow's shave. The alignment looks perfect and the adjuster works very smooth. At #1 there is slight blade feel. At #6 a lot of blade feel. I will start at #4 and go from there. It has the Van Der Hagen logo on the head.
Van Der Hagen Futur.jpg

First shave this morning was very nice. I began on setting 4 and increased it to the max #6. Nice blade feel but not crazy aggressive. This razor is shorter and much lighter then the Futur (3.0 oz vs 4.3 oz). First pass was noisy like a deep hollow sound but wonderful. The second pass total silence. I only wish the original Futur was reduced in size and weight.
Van Der Hagen Adjustable
Gillette 7 O'Clock
Van Der Hagen Futur.jpg

Top Bottom