What's new

Van Cleef & Arpels .Love it/Hate it? Discuss.

Hey All!!!

Just a curiosity thread, give me your opinions on the men's Van Cleef & Arpels cologne.

1. The almighty.....Midnight In Paris

proxy.php

This one gets sooooooooo many good reviews on Youtube.

Love it or Hate it???

2. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
proxy.php

Love it/Hate it/ or some where in the middle???

Last but not least................

3. TSAR

proxy.php

Love it /Hate it???

For the price point of these colognes are they a good blind buy? Anyone use them on a constant basis or have them in their collection? I have worn TSAR......but not the other two.

I am holding my thoughts until we get this thread started with a few comments.

Thanks!!!

Pour Homme and Tsar are on my list to try - I'm a big fan of 70's/80's fougueres and Power House scents. I plan to try both as blind buys in the near future.

Of the three I've tried Tsar, and I am a big fan!
It is my go-to fragrance as soon as the temperature drops below freezing. A dollop of the aftershave balm follow by two spritzes of the EdT.
Caution, though. Tsar will definitely get you noticed if you apply more the two spritz. Not an office scent, unless you keep it to one.
At least that has been my experience, with my body chemistry.
It is very lovely in my opinion. But at the same time very polarizing. And it easily lasts more than a solid six hours on me (two spritz).
I'd definitely recommend it as a blind buy, that's how I got it. I simply waited for it to drop in price online and pulled the trigger.
I hope this helps.
Good luck and have fun.
NOTE: I own the version of Tsar pictured above, not the see-through bottle shown on Fragrantica.

Midnight in Paris is amazing. I have the edp and it still doesn't last very long but man that scent is one of the best scents I've ever smelled and I have around 70 fragrance bottles so far, niche and designer. Def a fall/winter fragrance in my opinion. It's just I don't know what occasion to wear this on. I feel like I would like my Gf to wear this so I could smell it more often.

I have not tried the PH. TSAR was a bit to much on the oak moss for me. At least I think that is the note I did not like. I agree the MiP is a little fem and sweet but I still love it. For the price I dont think it can be beat!

Tried Pour Homme for the first time today. Interesting. I expected an in your face, intimidating scent, like Quorum, but it is not so much. I am not good at describing scents. it definitely possesses some floral, almost powdery notes up front, to my nose. It does settle down to a nice leathery scent, which I did expect and enjoy. It lasted all day, at least 12 hours, with just 2 shots to the chest. Definitely deserves more wear to get a full assessment. Tsar is up next tomorrow.

Tried Tsar today. 3 shots to the chest and I was in aromatic, piney Heaven....unfortunately the scent lasted maybe 2 hours. I reapplied after work but same results. great scent but poor longevity on my skin. I must be cursed because I have the same issue with Azzaro Pour Homme - 8 shots of Azzaro and it is gone an hour later.

Tried Tsar today. 3 shots to the chest and I was in aromatic, piney Heaven....unfortunately the scent lasted maybe 2 hours. I reapplied after work but same results. great scent but poor longevity on my skin. I must be cursed because I have the same issue with Azzaro Pour Homme - 8 shots of Azzaro and it is gone an hour later.

I think your nose my be broken :lol:

I had considered buying Midnight in Paris last year around Christmas but never did. Fragrances described as being unisex generally aren't for me, but I had liked it for fall/winter. Maybe this year

Woah! Did crowds part around you?

I have MiP. Smooth leather-forward fragrance. Smoky and resiny. I prefer leather to be a secondary note. Great for the price. Gorgeous presentation.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is one of my all-time favorites. I purchased it blind, but I love powerhouse scents. It is in my regular weekly rotation with Quorum & Lapidus pH. It is dark, dense, and a little menacing for the first hour or two, but has a bitter leathery and soapy smell with a bit of juniper. Later it settles down and becomes a touch sweet as the herbs really come out to play (juniper & marjoram) with a hint of musk and some real (not neutered) patchouli and oakmoss. It isn't something many are going to love and if you over apply it, everyone will hate it. It lasts about 9 hours on skin for me, and 24+ hours on clothing.

I have and really enjoy MiP EdP --- I can only wear in winter/fall/very cool weather because our TX heat can make even one spray very cloying.

Top Bottom