What's new

Value of old used pipes?

I'm a razor collector and scour flea markets finding the Gillettes. I see old pipes all the time. Wondering if it's worth-wild to pick them up? I don't smoke, but would love to trade them for old razors in the B/S/T. Could I go wrong buying them for $5 each?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I would say, maybe.

Your not being a pipe smoker would lessen your chances of success tho. It would be like your niece, ignorant of the wet shave culture, thinking of buying old razors at flea markets to trade for scrap booking accessories. She might find a cased Red Dot, but more likely she will find brassed Superspeeds missing both end caps.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So to answer your question, most old pipes have very little value. Not to mention they are implements that men suck on in their mouths endlessly, while burning tobacco inside.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
If you don't know much about pipes I wouldn't mess with it, unless you find an old Dunhill for $5. What they have at flea markets, though I don't go to them, are probably like what I've seen at "antique" stores for straight razors...the blades were about half gone or so chipped that they looked like a cross-cut saw. Beyond repair and they wanted about $30 for them. Junk.

Although you just might get lucky if you knew what to look for.

I was talking to a pipe shop owner last year and asked if he had any old pipes for sale. He said he had about 100 in the back that he hadn't got around to refurbishing yet. He said people came in all the time wanting to sell old pipes but by the time he put his time and effort into cleaning them up he couldn't make any money reselling them...too labor intensive.

Although...if you do come across an old Yello-Bole with the KBB in the clover leaf emblem on the shank and a yellow stem for $5, give me a shout. I may give you $10 for it.

Here's the KBB in the clover leaf emblem.

proxy.php

Here's Dad's old Yello-Bole with the yellow stem and the circle on the stem. I've looked on the bay a bit and the only Yello-Boles I could find had the black stem.

From what I could find out Dad's was made in 1955 or before.

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
So to answer your question, most old pipes have very little value. Not to mention they are implements that men suck on in their mouths endlessly, while burning tobacco inside.

HEY...I'm an old man and I stick pipes in my mouth and suck on them with burning tobacco inside.

Oh, wait. You are right...I'm of little value. :biggrin1:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
HEY...I'm an old man and I stick pipes in my mouth and suck on them with burning tobacco inside.

Oh, wait. You are right...I'm of little value. :biggrin1:

Lol!! The pipes have little value, not the Piper!!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Look at the old pipes for sale on ebay and you will see that there is not a lot of money to be had unless they are really, really nice. If they are nice, then there are bidding wars and they sell for ridiculous price, but not always. I've bought many pipes off the 'bay and spent between $15 to 30 for most of them, a few for a lot more.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Most of the pipes I find at flee markets are old Grabows or Medicos with burned rims and/or stems that have half the button chewed off. I did buy one of these once only because it came with a wood pipe rest for $5. I've seen better pieces at at antique stores, but the prices are higher than a comparable piece on an auction site.

This subject seems analogous to the vintage fountain pen world. The answer is, "it depends". There are so many factors that determine value and you have to know what you are doing to extract that value. The other side of the coin is, the value may come from learning how to restore and enjoying the smoking of the restored pipes. With pens, you can extract enough value to buy the next old pen and start the process again. And if you are lucky, you might stumble across a pen or pipe with some significant value; the old "corvette in the barn" scenario.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I assume you’re in the US? If so, my answer is the same as everyone else’s—most flea market pipes were cheap to begin with and aren’t worth much, and the few treasures that may be out there would require a bit of knowledge.

If you’re in Europe, I’d give you a different answer and tell you it would generally be worth it to buy flea market pipes. Cheap English and French pipes tend to be higher quality and more desireable, and there’s a much greater chance of finding a diamond in the rough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of what I see locally is beat as well. But I did find two solid kaywoodies last year I think. Both were bulldogs and in need of restoration but they were all there and didn't have any major problems.

IMG_2018-01-13_13-21-08.JPG

IMG_2018-12-06_20-52-45.JPG

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Most of what I see locally is beat as well. But I did find two solid kaywoodies last year I think. Both were bulldogs and in need of restoration but they were all there and didn't have any major problems.

View attachment 933239

View attachment 933248

Those look great, Mark. I may have to see if I can find an old beater and mess with it...just for the fish...the halibut.

Do you have a buffer or were those done by hand?

Those look great, Mark. I may have to see if I can find an old beater and mess with it...just for the fish...the halibut.

Do you have a buffer or were those done by hand?
Buffer and carnauba wax. I have a large buffer but these were done with a small buffing wheel of a dremel style rotary tool. It can be tough to get it even. Gotta keep the speed low and keep it moving. The larger buffer is much easier to get a good even coat.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Buffer and carnauba wax. I have a large buffer but these were done with a small buffing wheel of a dremel style rotary tool. It can be tough to get it even. Gotta keep the speed low and keep it moving. The larger buffer is much easier to get a good even coat.

I have some carnauba wax, but I've never been able to get it to work well since I don't have a buffer...I usually use paragon wax when doing it by hand. I've been a bit hesitant about using my dremel, but if I pick up an old beater pipe for a couple of dollars I just might try the dremel.

I have some carnauba wax, but I've never been able to get it to work well since I don't have a buffer...I usually use paragon wax when doing it by hand. I've been a bit hesitant about using my dremel, but if I pick up an old beater pipe for a couple of dollars I just might try the dremel.
Yeah carnauba need the friction to apply it. The dremel works but you have to keep it moving and have kinda a light touch. I have never damaged a pipe by using one to apply the wax but the more aggressive the more streaks and waves you get in the wax. Thin coats with a light tough seems to be key with the dremel to build up the shine. Also have to watch out for the chuck around where the shanks meets the bowl. I use cheap polishing wheels from harbor freight.

Top Bottom