What's new

Valobra

I would like to locate some Valobra for the United States. I see various stick, 150g menthol and bowl. Is the company still making items and are they in production?

Valobra Shaving Soap Stick 50g. In 1903 Virgilio Valobra established in Genova his soap production. Since then strict formulas and traditional methods of the master manufacturers from 18th century are used to produce one of the most well-known Italian shaving soaps Worldwide.
The exclusive use of pure and selected ingredients results in a substance similar to the natural one that protects the skin. For super-rich lather virgin coconut oil from an island in the Indian Ocean is used. Soaps seasoning takes at least 6 months. During this period the soaps become a highly refined and effective agent for cleansing the skin and improving its texture.
This shaving stick contains Lecithin and Vitamin E for a rich and natural shave.

Ingredients​

Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Stearic acid, Cocoa Nucifera, Lecithin, Parfum, Petrolatum Zea Mays, Tocopherol Acetate, CI 77891, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Linalool

Valobra ceased its business some years ago, and the brand was acquired by Proraso (Ludovico Martelli), if I’m not wrong. It was mentioned that they wanted to go back to business, but let’s see.

Valobra ceased its business some years ago, and the brand was acquired by Proraso (Ludovico Martelli), if I’m not wrong. It was mentioned that they wanted to go back to business, but let’s see.
Too much family resemblance to someone I might know. I'm out.

I have Varen balm by Stirling and it's understated and well-scented at the same time. Very high quality for what it is. Can't speak for the soap.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have Varen balm by Stirling and it's understated and well-scented at the same time. Very high quality for what it is. Can't speak for the soap.

The Varen scent is an old-school fougere as is the Valobra stick and puck (Valobra stick and fougere puck seem to be the same scent). Stirling Varen was made for one of the Dutch shaving forums I believe, and is a sheep tallow base.

If you are missing the scent of Valobra stick or fougere puck, Varen will likely fix you up.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I would like to locate some Valobra for the United States. I see various stick, 150g menthol and bowl. Is the company still making items and are they in production?

Valobra Shaving Soap Stick 50g. In 1903 Virgilio Valobra established in Genova his soap production. Since then strict formulas and traditional methods of the master manufacturers from 18th century are used to produce one of the most well-known Italian shaving soaps Worldwide.
The exclusive use of pure and selected ingredients results in a substance similar to the natural one that protects the skin. For super-rich lather virgin coconut oil from an island in the Indian Ocean is used. Soaps seasoning takes at least 6 months. During this period the soaps become a highly refined and effective agent for cleansing the skin and improving its texture.
This shaving stick contains Lecithin and Vitamin E for a rich and natural shave.

Ingredients​

Sodium Tallowate, Aqua, Potassium Palmitate, Potassium Stearate, Sodium Palmitate, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Cocoate, Potassium Cocoate, Glycerin, Palmitic Acid, Stearic acid, Cocoa Nucifera, Lecithin, Parfum, Petrolatum Zea Mays, Tocopherol Acetate, CI 77891, Benzyl Benzoate, Coumarin, Linalool
You're joing a very long list of people hoping to see Valobra again. It's a top tier soap, good choice!

One of the reasons i hate aggressive buyouts , Valobra was one of the best soap makers in the world , and house Martelli bury it to the ground... :angry:

One of the reasons i hate aggressive buyouts , Valobra was one of the best soap makers in the world , and house Martelli bury it to the ground... :angry:
I think the elder Mr. Valobra wanted to retire, and there was no one in the family who wanted to take over the business. Martelli hinted they wanted to sell Valobra bath soaps as a luxury item in Asia, but it has been totally quiet since the Covid mess. No word at all about the shaving soaps.

Valobra stick and fougere puck seem to be the same scent
I can confirm 100% this is not the case. I prefer the stick's scent

It wasn't an aggressive purchase and Ludovido Martelli did not bury it to the ground. The acquisiton happened right before Covid, and their plans likely had to change. Many companies stopped investments and hiring during the pandemic.

Last edited:
Their website has finally received an update: Valobra Coming Soon - https://valobra.com/

"Coming soon" with a soap in the background that is different than the old Valobra (more oval and with a different stamp). The logo has changed too and matches the new stamp

If I had to guess, a relaunch is getting closer but I'd say they will prioritize bath soaps.

Last edited:
The buyout took place in 2018 (they signed all legal documents on December 2018 to be accurate) , and after that it all came to a full stop. :001_smile
Things take time in business. Particularly in Italian family businesses and during a pandemic. Keep in mind that LM itself was partially sold in the meantime to an Asian investor. Moreover, LM has purchased and relaunched the Floid brand, which is another major corporate milestone

Anyway, apparently LM used the time to completely restructure the old Valobra's factory, while preserving the historical site and an official relaunch was announced last month

Source: Ludovico Martelli rilancia Valobra - BeautyBiz - https://www.beautybiz.it/industry/ludovico-martelli-rilancia-valobra/

Last edited:
Few Italian based stores has new soaps for a while now (couple of months, I think) Good news is, their ingredient list seems to be the same, they only changed weight (now its 130g, before was 150g), and the shape. Plus packaging is simpler, from recycled paper... Anyway, I'm still hopping to see shave soaps. Months ago, I was writing them about that, they responded with a nice "thank you for your interest" letter. So, we'll see.
P. S. Price was also reduced, for same percentage, as the weight.

Top Bottom