What's new

Valobra shaving soaps

The tallow formulations are some of the best. Vegetable-based formulations are not that special. Problem is, it is difficult to find nowadays and the price is too high in comparison to alternatives. Some people object to the clay undertones to the scents, but that did not bother me.

Valobra in theory is undergoing a restructuring after multiple acquisitions, and in all honesty the current climate isn't helping at all. But for the time being and possibly for a much longer time, it's better to write Valobra off and look at the alternatives when it comes to a hard shave soap.

I was lucky to nab one of the last Valobra shave sticks. Excellent product all the way around, I hope they are re-released by their new owners, excellent products.

It makes absolutely no sense why an Italian company would acquire another historic and beloved Italian company simply to dismantle it. I’m hopeful that’s not the case and Valobra products will be available again.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I liked the more recent pucks in the blue jars better than the ones made for Art of Shaving but that may be just me ... I think it was the clay for AoS. The stick was great, too.

As far as the menthol 150g brick, I still have a bunch of that. Is that history? Man, that's good stuff!

1592789531786.png

1592790072906.png

1592789791704.png

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Simply exceptional in the tallow formulation, but as others have pointed out that factory sadly has been shuttered, for good it appears. There's still some Valobra made tallow Art of Shaving floating in the Bay, I think I just received the last two pucks of Czech & Speake No.88, at least in the US of A. I have a small bag of AoS Sandalwood tallow (Valobra) and two of the Valobra brand Patchouli ..

Off the top of me head, the only worthy alternative in a hard soap is the La Toja stick.

Valobra is one of my all-time favorites. I love their shaving soaps as much as I love their bath soaps. I can confidently say Valobra soaps are the finest in the world. They used to cure each bar for over 6 months!

I think the combination of two acquisitions (Proraso-Valobra then Private Equity-Proraso) plus Covid is not helping. I keep my hopes that this historical company will re-emerge someday. Meanwhile, I am lucky to have a full puck of Colonia shaving soap, half a dozen sticks and half a dozen bath soaps that will keep me happy for quite a while

Ad Astra

The Instigator
It's excellent soap, and I've got four at least. But the tallow funk/clay undertone/dirty shirt thing takes away from it/them - to me.

AA

Not to derail the thread, but was there any close alternatives?
It's difficult to replace Valobra hard shaving soaps, but there are some good alternatives.

Speick stick - a tallow-based soap that produces great lather. Scent is a lavender/herbal fragrance that many like, but not everyone does.

Cyril R Salter hard soap - tallow-based, only one scent, a very mild lavender/barbershop type fragrance. Good lather, very economical.

DR Harris hard soap - pick the most recent forumulation with tallow base. Almond would be a very mild scent not too far from Valobra.

Vegetable-based hard soaps is a different category. Maybe Meissner Termonia or Saponificio Varesino. La Toja is an excellent soap for its price.

Last edited:
It's difficult to replace Valobra hard shaving soaps, but there are some good alternatives.

Speick stick - a tallow-based soap that produces great lather. Scent is a lavender/herbal fragrance that many like, but not everyone does.

Cyril R Salter hard soap - tallow-based, only one scent, a very mild lavender/barbershop type fragrance. Good lather, very economical.

DR Harris hard soap - pick the most recent forumulation with tallow base. Almond would be a very mild scent not too far from Valobra.

Speick stick is the first that came to my mind too

Top Bottom