What's new

Valobra shaving soap puck

Gents, my soaps have arrived today. I shave with Fougere tomorrow. My thoughts about their scents are;

Fougere: Smells like Houbigant Fougere Royale(I have shaving soap and after shave) however not that strong,
Patchouly: I like that one so much which smells like C&S No. 88 minus noir rosy scent although very similar,
Cologne: Meh, it smells like first class paper which disappoints me.

Gents, my soaps have arrived today. I shave with Fougere tomorrow. My thoughts about their scents are;

Fougere: Smells like Houbigant Fougere Royale(I have shaving soap and after shave) however not that strong,
Patchouly: I like that one so much which smells like C&S No. 88 minus noir rosy scent although very similar,
Cologne: Meh, it smells like first class paper which disappoints me.

And with no trace of clay scent in the Fougere and Patchouly?

D

Deleted member 48987

My opinion is that the Fougere scent smells identical to the shave stick, but it is noticeably stronger.

I haven't tried the Valobra stick either but I have tried No 88 which is easy to find here. I totally get the clay association with the No 88. Think I am tempted by the fougere.

Got around to using my Fougere puck today - performance is the same as the shave stick, which is a top 5 soap in my opinion. I remember reading that Valobra stated that the stick is scented lightly and that the Fougere puck would be more scent, at the time I didn't think the stick had much scent other than the clay/soap smell but it makes sense now. The Fougere scent does not punch you in the nose but is more subtle. For those looking for a Pens. English Fern - this is not it. However, it is a great Fougere scent and in one of the best soaps out there. There has been much discussion about the price and is it worth it - each person can decide if $30 for a shave soap is worth it. I am completely happy with the soap, scent and the price offers enough value that I will reorder when it is gone.

Got around to using my Fougere puck today - performance is the same as the shave stick, which is a top 5 soap in my opinion. I remember reading that Valobra stated that the stick is scented lightly and that the Fougere puck would be more scent, at the time I didn't think the stick had much scent other than the clay/soap smell but it makes sense now.

In my experience the puck is better than stick which only performs well with hot water. Nice Fougere scent btw, however I like Patchouly much more.

This is the best shaving news I've seen in a while. I love Valobra soaps. A cursory search revealed that Fougere is a sell out. Is it really that popular a scent? Amazing. At that rate we can expect Valobra to keep making these pucks, just like MdC's Fougere.

As for the plastic case, IMHO plastic is eminently practical, recyclable, and durable, and Valobra's design is top notch as always. I love the classic meander pattern. As for the price, a single Valobra bath bar will cost at least 10 dollars. So a shaving puck at double the cost is in line with that.

But I'll wait until demand cools off. Can anyone describe the patchouli and cologne scented puck smell? Is the cologne scent a traditional cologne like 4711?

Hi!

I have been using my Fougere soap a week since I received it and I have the same thoughts than you (excellent performance, better latherability and post-shave than the stick version) excepting the scent. I simply don't like it much, a "strange" mix which don't combine well this the traditional old soap subtle scent similar to the stick it has, much worse than other Fern soaps I have tested (Penhaligons or MdC for example)

And what to say about the bad cheap plastic container... A shame, this excellent soap deserves a good wooden bowl and better scent, at least at this price.

Cheers!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
First shave today with the new Valobra Fougere and first impressions are very, very good. Some more shaves before a complete review.

First shave today with the new Valobra Fougere and first impressions are very, very good. Some more shaves before a complete review.

I too used the Valobra Fougere today for the first time.

The scent is not very pronounced; it's almost as if there are two scents simultaneously: one from the soap itself (similar to that of the stick) and another from the fragrance added to it. In my opinion the overall scent is pleasant and I have no complaints.

This soap is off the charts in terms of performance: outstanding cushion, outstanding glide and outstanding moisturization properties, which lead to my skin being in an incredibly smooth post-shave condition.

Top Bottom