It's a tank...81 grams
Smooth
Efficient
Balanced
Pretty
Awesome

Cons...

Does not use GEM blades

The locking lever is very sensitive, I had to grip the handle a little further down.

The bottom line

I love it, BBS'd my face with ease. It's the Cadillac of razors, the MMOC is a sports car. I'm really enjoying these Valet's. I have one...or two coming that should take the GEM blade.

Thanks for the report! Having both the VC4 and VB2 gives you an excellent perspective on these razors.

So now that you're tumbling down that rabbit hole, which ones do you have coming?

@Komboloi

Haven't looked at your thread to identify it yet, but here is a picture.

Screenshot_20170630-102252_1.jpg

Looks like a beauty. VC1 or VB1. The VB1 has a roller at the back for the strop; the VC1 has the smooth bar to guide the strop. And no more pins to line up! Just be careful sliding the blade into place behind the little friction plate.

Looks like a beauty. VC1 or VB1. The VB1 has a roller at the back for the strop; the VC1 has the smooth bar to guide the strop. And no more pins to line up! Just be careful sliding the blade into place behind the little friction plate.

Thank, it set me back a pretty penny. $15 shipped.:lol:

Here's another picture of it.

Screenshot_20170630-103901_1.jpg

$15 to have a fine piece of fully functional American industrial art delivered to your home. It's amazing. Can you imagine what it would cost to produce and sell such a razor today?

That's a VC1. The easiest way to tell the VB1 and VC1 apart (especially in a fuzzy eBay photo) is to look at the sides of the frame. On the VB1 (and VB2, for that matter) they are shaped sort of like an inverted "T".

proxy.php

The VC1 is on the left, VB1 on the right.

Also note the difference in blade gap which can easily be seen in this picture. The VC1 is in the middle of the aggressiveness scale and loaded with a modified Gem is my favorite Auto-Strop for shaving.

The VB1, while beautifully constructed, is a fire breathing monster - one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection.

--Bob

Last edited:
That's a VC1. The easiest way to tell the VB1 and VC1 apart (especially in a fuzzy eBay photo) is to look at the sides of the frame. On the VB1 (and VB2, for that matter) they are shaped sort of like an inverted "T".

proxy.php

The VC1 is on the left, VB1 on the right.

Also note the difference in blade gap which can easily be seen in this picture. The VC1 is in the middle of the aggressiveness scale and loaded with a modified Gem is my favorite Auto-Strop for shaving.

The VB1, while beautifully constructed, is a fire breathing monster - one of the most aggressive razors in my entire collection.

--Bob

I will hunt down the monster that breathes fire and contend with it until the end!

Thanks for the info!

The VB2 really made the FHS blade shine today, I was impressed. But I'm really looking forward to using a GEM blade in the Valet.

It's been 8 hours since I've shaved with this monstrosity and I'm still BBS.

The VB2 didn't offer any feedback by way of sound. I focused on resistance.

BTW...I'm not amazed at how long the shave is lasting, I'm amazed at how easy and comfortable the BBS shave was to achieve, how long it's lasting is a bonus.

Last edited:
As I marvel over today's shave with the Al General/Proline, it keeps getting overshadowed by yesterday's shave with the Valet VB2.
I'm going to try really hard to shave with the General for the next two days, I should have my Valet that uses GEM blades then.

Is this a VB2, I found it back in November at a flea market. I haven't used it yet, for that mater, I don't think anyone else has either. Is this the more aggressive one? I use a Gillette Bulldog regularly and I don't find it aggressive at all, I think the most aggressive razor that I've used is a Barbasol FH. How would it compare to those?

2016-11-19 20.31.50.jpg

2016-11-19 20.34.51.jpg

2016-11-19 20.35.14.jpg

Is this a VB2, I found it back in November at a flea market. I haven't used it yet, for that mater, I don't think anyone else has either. Is this the more aggressive one? I use a Gillette Bulldog regularly and I don't find it aggressive at all, I think the most aggressive razor that I've used is a Barbasol FH. How would it compare to those?

View attachment 800843

View attachment 800844

View attachment 800845

Yes, that is the VB2!

I focus on keeping the flat part of the razor flat on my face, it was smooth as silk and sliced through my stubble like butter. My experience is limited with Valet's, but this one shaves great! Do not try to use it like a DE, picture the blade as a small section of a str8 and maintain a shallow angle.

Yes, that is the VB2!

I focus on keeping the flat part of the razor flat on my face, it was smooth as silk and sliced through my stubble like butter. My experience is limited with Valet's, but this one shaves great! Do not try to use it like a DE, picture the blade as a small section of a str8 and maintain a shallow angle.

I have a couple packs of unopened Valet blades, should I use one of them or modify a GEM.

I have a couple packs of unopened Valet blades, should I use one of them or modify a GEM.

You can't modify a Gem blade for the VB2, you'll have to use a modern Feather FHS blade. You can try the NOS Valet carbon blades but after 90 years the edge has probably deteriorated a bit. You can check out Tryablade.com to get a FHS-10 blade. He stocks the carbon Feathers, don't bother with them.

Top Bottom