What's new

Valet razor copy?

Recently I’ve got my hands on fairly unique razor, it just looks like Valet auto strop razor, however it has different brand name “sport”. I’ve already have 5 Valet razor in my collection and it just exactly look like Valet model c. However, after further inspection, I’ve noticed differences in the finish of two upper pins, they are somewhat pointy compared to standard Valet razors. Plus the strop mentions “Tokyo” on it, but in the same time the upper metal part of belt has a “model c” stamp. And also the last, but not least, it’s got a different patent number compared to known Valet patents. So my question is if it is just a copy of Valet razor or Valet razor which was made for Asian market probably Japan?
Btw I’ve tried to research the patent number and didn’t managed to find anything. I will also attach a photo of an original blade which came with it. I hope someone will help me to identify this razor! Please see the pictures attached below
87A4609F-3A1B-45A7-AD73-909A837ABFD2.jpeg
88EC600B-EB53-47F4-A07C-F537FC92DA33.jpeg
ADCC6257-E72F-4D47-9B29-4271EEC38449.jpeg
44DF8629-9231-478E-B36D-CEE6C9135AD8.jpeg
2B7204B7-9814-46C2-8743-5EEC8815D395.jpeg
610D6110-07BF-4D5F-BB0C-9FA1FDAEE8CC.jpeg
3074F5A0-A0FC-485A-886B-6EAE1EFFD45D.jpeg
29CDB598-EB20-4BCB-ADCF-A29C3065D1B7.jpeg
A5909659-CFF7-4642-B2A7-629588EB3287.jpeg

Attachments

• D3DAB4FC-636B-4DB4-987E-7482F89CDC37.jpeg
    D3DAB4FC-636B-4DB4-987E-7482F89CDC37.jpeg
    691.1 KB · Views: 18
Yes, there are Japanese made Autostrop type razors out there. Either the patent had run out or Valets were no longer being produced after the war and the old dies were ceded to Japan's newly emerging occupied western manufacturing economy . That's why feather FAS-10 blades still fit Valets to this day.

Gillette retired the Auto Strop division after WWII, at which point a Japanese firm either acquired or copied the tooling. This is the first time I've seen one stamped "Sport"; the only example I've seen was marked " 'Bon' Maeet". I seem to have read somewhere that these were produced up until the 1960s, and maybe later.

I've always wondered what the other applications are for the FHS and Kai BEST blades that use the Valet design. If the only use involved obsolete and out of production safety razors, they wouldn't be on the market, kind of like how the various lab and scientific gizmos that use GEM SE blades have kept them around for us to shave with.

A lot of guys complain about the FHS-10s, and I agree in the Oneblade they aren't so great, but I routinely get 6-8 bbs shaves with the Feathers in my Auto Strops. I don't like the FHS carbon blades, and haven't tried the Kai carbon BEST blades, but they have their fans. If I had a Valey strop in good condition I'd give 'em a go but it's not important enough to me to go looking for one.

Gillette retired the Auto Strop division after WWII, at which point a Japanese firm either acquired or copied the tooling. This is the first time I've seen one stamped "Sport"; the only example I've seen was marked " 'Bon' Maeet". I seem to have read somewhere that these were produced up until the 1960s, and maybe later.

I've always wondered what the other applications are for the FHS and Kai BEST blades that use the Valet design. If the only use involved obsolete and out of production safety razors, they wouldn't be on the market, kind of like how the various lab and scientific gizmos that use GEM SE blades have kept them around for us to shave with.

A lot of guys complain about the FHS-10s, and I agree in the Oneblade they aren't so great, but I routinely get 6-8 bbs shaves with the Feathers in my Auto Strops. I don't like the FHS carbon blades, and haven't tried the Kai carbon BEST blades, but they have their fans. If I had a Valey strop in good condition I'd give 'em a go but it's not important enough to me to go looking for one.
Thanks a lot! Btw, I’ve tried some original Valet blades (three blades of different manufacturers) which I’ve honed on my jnat using a special made guide. The shave was alright, however it felt a little bit “grabby”. For example, my Wilkinson empire safety razor gives me a wonderful shave after honing the blades on jnat, same as my straights. I think that it is related to the steel which Valet blades were made from, it’s more on the soft side. So from my opinion Valet type razors are good shavers especially when used with feather platinum SE blades, you could still get a quite comfortable shave with a properly honed vintage carbon steel blades, but it’s way easier to buy a Feather blades instead.

Top Bottom