What's new

Valet Id help,

Pretty sure it's a vc1 but wanted to ask since stuck at home tonight lol.
Screenshot_20200410-133142.png

That's what I was using, and thought. Shipping was more than the razor so that's not to bad. I wanted one a gem blade could be used as well. I have a very rough one I basically got for free, just wanted a nice one. Thanks for the reply.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
That's what I was using, and thought. Shipping was more than the razor so that's not to bad. I wanted one a gem blade could be used as well. I have a very rough one I basically got for free, just wanted a nice one. Thanks for the reply.
I have both a VB1 and VC1 and really can't tell them apart (except for the back roller). And I absolutely can't tell their shaves apart. I ONLY use de-spined GEM blades with my Autostrops / Valet Autostrops....which means that I stopped with the VC1 and never moved over to the proprietary blade Valets. I have a ton of GEM blades, and like them, and I didn't want another blade type (aka Valet), so that was my rationale. I will say that the later Autostrops (B1, B2, VB1 and VC1) are slightly better shavers than my A1's (US and Brit versions). They did a better job of locking the blade in place with that thumb lever than they did with the button push (IMO).

By the way, there are a couple of schools of thought on modding the GEM blade for this razor. I originally just de-spined my GEM and did not trim it, and then later I tried doing the trimming so that it looked closer to the Valet blade shape....gotta say, in my experience, the untrimmed blade was a little finicky to load, but once loaded, it felt like a more secure fit. It could be that I trimmed a bit too much, but I hate playing with a sharp piece of steel and aviation snips, so I'm happy to do just the de-spine. Please keep us/me posted on what mod you do to your GEM blade, and how you like the shave.

Without being able to see the side or the type of guide for the strop on the back of the razor I have to concur it is either VC1 or VB1.

Just an fyi, it showed up yesterday and is in great shape, plan on using it soon with both a feather and a gem blade. Thanks for the help.

Pretty easy and good shaver. Went very smooth, a couple weepers in my trouble spot with a fresh blade. I seem to go in cycle from perfect.shaves to good shaves with mystery weepers.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_191435407.jpg
    IMG_20200418_191435407.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200418_190953185.jpg
    IMG_20200418_190953185.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200418_190854135.jpg
    IMG_20200418_190854135.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 7

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a Canadian version of a C1, they look very similar to your model. I found mine a little harsh at first, previous owner did not look after it because I had to adjust a few things to make it usable and repaired a blade stop. I took the blade gap from .011 thousands of a inch to .007 thousands gap and that smoothed my C1 out nicely. I like to use it now, the brass they used is malleable and I boiled some water to let some stress out of the metal and slowly manipulated the teeth and took some pictures to make sure the teeth were even.(Nice little task for a hobby.)
The repaired blade stop is the one on the right!
Valet Auto-stop C 1, MFG 1920's- .011 original gap clearance to a .007 blade gap (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I find that with a fresh Feather HS blade, I always get a weeper with my beloved Model C. Subsequent shaves are fine. I know that stropping a SS blade is pointless, but I strop it anyway using the reverse rough side of the strop just yo clean off the blade.

Really, I think that the Auto Strop was the coolest razor ever made. I wish someone would make them again. I wonder how much they would cost?

20200330_085809_HDR.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some times I will palm strop my blade, it will help if any curling has occured of fine edge.(kinda dangerous but doable)

SOTD, Tue April 21st 2020

Razor : Valet Auto-strop C1 Canadian variant-MFG 1920's- modified blade gap from .011 to .007 thousands of a inch. Very smooth compared to earlier larger blade gap.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified(5) excellent blade all the way around.
Soap: Italian barber Amici- very nice inexpensive soap that has good lather qualities.
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 plissoft synthetic. Great brush and shaves like a well broke in boar brush IMO.
Pre-shave: brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap+ a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm on shaved area.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers -= :a17: great shave and hit targeted sweet spot.

SOTD, Tue April 21st 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom