What's new

Valet Auto Strop How to use?

The blade slides in under the blade clip, the clip and blade are flipped over so the blade is atop the comb, and the lever on the back is pushed up, locking the blade into position.

That's a pretty brief explanation, and probably doesn't make much sense if you've never done it before. If you go to YouTube and do a search for "Valet Auto-Strop Razor" you will find a variety of videos showing its loading and use, far better than I can describe it.

Now the bad news: The razor on the left has a broken blade stop and is not safe to use. I cannot see the comb so I cannot tell regarding the razor on the right, other than it needs a good cleaning.

The blade stops on this model are quite fragile and sadly, this is quite common.

--Bob

Thank you, I went to YouTube and found it. There was a strop that went through the rollers. I found 7 se razors at a flea market today and I could not figure those 2 out.

Exactly. The lever on the back of the razor locks the blade in place for shaving.

When it is released the blade is free to flip back and forth after a strop is threaded through the rollers and the razor is moved back and forth.

These days the stropping feature is merely a novelty, since modern blades do not respond well to stropping.

However, the Auto-Strops are still great shavers.

--Bob

Which modern Feather razor uses those blades? It doesn't seem like it fits the various shavettes.

At one time (possibly 1950's - information is scarce) Feather marketed a razor that was a near clone of a Valet Auto-Strop. It looked like a VC2 with a safety bar instead of an open comb - sort of a cross between a VC2 and a VC4.

$feather strop 2.jpg

I found this image online (sadly, this razor is not part of my collection). These are now highly sought-after collectors items.

The production of this razor is how Feather came to be producing blades that fit the Valet Auto-Strops (and now the OneBlade).

--Bob

So is there any reason that Feather continues to make these blades? Or are they used industrially?

So is there any reason that Feather continues to make these blades? Or are they used industrially?

I am not aware of any industrial or medical use for these blades. I have no insight into Feather marketing policies, so I can only assume that they continue to produce and sell the blades because enough people keep buying them to make it profitable.

There are a lot of Auto-Strop razors out there.

--Bob

I am not aware of any industrial or medical use for these blades. I have no insight into Feather marketing policies, so I can only assume that they continue to produce and sell the blades because enough people keep buying them to make it profitable.

There are a lot of Auto-Strop razors out there.

--Bob
I know they work in the oneblade razors , and are the only blade that works in the oneblade unmodified. I have the low point end oneblade core razor.

Top Bottom