What's new

Valet auto strop blades, how long do they last?

Does anyone have experience using NOS valet blades to know how many shaves might be possible? How about with stropping, has anyone tried that to extend the blade life to their marketed 50+ shaves?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I've seen at least 2 people on another forum use their NOS Valet blades for 40+ shaves using their vintage Autostrop strop. I've been meaning to try it, but something always seems to come up. I suspect that you will absolutely need to strop the NOS carbon blades to keep them alive that long....but again, I've not proved it out. Hopefully an experienced person will weigh in here.

IMG_20200330_163038529.jpg
IMG_20200330_163046204.jpg
I've seen at least 2 people on another forum use their NOS Valet blades for 40+ shaves using their vintage Autostrop strop. I've been meaning to try it, but something always seems to come up. I suspect that you will absolutely need to strop the NOS carbon blades to keep them alive that long....but again, I've not proved it out. Hopefully an experienced person will weigh in here.
I just got several 5 packs of NOS Valet blades yesterday. I opened one for personal use. I got to shave with my VC4 for the first time.

I didn't know what to expect with the blade so far from the guard and the big gap.

I used Proraso Green pre-shave and cream

Frankly I'm amazed! It was easily the most comfortable close shave I've experienced. Not a Nick or weeper. Absolutely no discomfort anywhere, not even my neck! I am genuinely impressed. 2 passes, with and across the grain was all it took for near bbs Shave.

Again....no discomfort at all .

I would like to get a lot of life out of these blades. Anyone here know where I can find a new strop? Somebody must be making them.

its all based on the blades.how old, storage,a nd when they were made.

SOme years are BAD. SOME are really bad. last 10 years of production not worth a damn.

The blades I have are so bad.... cant finish a shave. actually cant even finish a single pass

I believe that I read an old valet auto strop manual saying that the blades were good to 30 to 40 sheves with stropping.

Top Bottom