What's new

VALET AUTO STROP. Anyone own/use ?

Hi all,

It's been a while since I "posted" here at B&B. I still am collecting vintage Razors
(I've over one hundred and fifty purchased in five months) however, I've slowed waaaay
down on buying just any Razor(s). Since Sunday (God, I'm bad) I purchased seven Razors.
Yesterday and today, I found the following :
proxy.php

proxy.php

I believe these are both VALET VC-2

I understand that "Blades" can be ordered from (Amazon) Feather Blades for the Valet ?
I'm kind of digging the looks of these "Steam Punk" Razors. Thoughts, suggestions.

Thanks,
SixCats!

I have one that uses the Feather blades and like it alot. Similar to other SE razors, hefty feel and the 1920's vibe is certainly a bit unique.

Yep those are VC2 models. I have used the other VC models haven't used a VC2 yet but if they are like the other C model Autostrop Valet razors they should be on the mild side.

You have 2 options for blades for that razor

PTFE coated stainless steel
Feather FHS-10

Carbon Steel
Feather FAS-10

I have the same Valet. I got okay shaves. Doesn't help that the Feather FHS-10 is only a fair blade compared to the Gem. However, I plan to shave with it a couple times this Single-Edge September (SEeptember). Perhaps my SE technique has improved.

Hi all,

Thank you all for your thoughts, recommendations, suggestions. I will soon order Blades for this "Steam Punk" Razor and give it a go!

SixCats!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I bought one here recently and it was damaged a little and needed some care, I found out a few things that might interest some owners of the Autostop c1 type. The blade stops are fragile and they do not need to be over loaded from the tensioning lever. Another interesting find is the tensioning lever should not be touching the handle shaft when properly blade tensioned, if it is touching check to make sure blade is not loose(previous owner of my c1 bent the tension lever and I had to be bend it back in place.) Another interesting find was one of my open comb teeth was bent and I straightened it back in place and discovered that their brass is some what malleable. So I found that I can make my C1 a adjustable razor by closing the blade gap by carefully bending the teeth in or out.(place razor in hot water to help soften for bending.) My 1st shave was to aggressive so I changed my blade gap (factory specs!?) from .011 thousands to .007 thousands of a inch and have not used it with the new setting until SEptember.

Valet Auto-stop C .011 original gap clearance to a .007 gap (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Lately, I have been using my Valet Auto Strop to clean up and do the back of my neck after a double pass SR shave. I love it, especially in that the open comb design seems pretty clog proof. Seems to give a mild shave. I have a gold plated brass version with the swinging gate that accepts Feather HS 10 blades without modification.

It really is a beautiful razor. Don't understand why it isn't being made anymore.

I've been using my VB2 for the last 4 shaves, easy BBS, not too mild, not too agressive. One thing I've noticed - the AutoStrops are very dependent on a cushiony soap or cream. Using a cream like Lavanda, I can get more comfortable bbs shaves than if I use, for lack of a better term, a "slick forward" cream. 4th shave today on the same FHS10 blade, which I palm strop between shaves. I think I can get at least 2 more uses out of it. When I use a cream like Real Shaving Co's Sensitive, or Palmolive, the shave is a little more rough.

I found a reference online that shows a VB2 on a scale, weighing 80 grams, which doesn't surprise me; the VB2 handle is quite stout. I'd cite the reference but it's on another site. If you google "Valet VB2 Razor Arrives" you'll find it.

I would imagine the Bs and the VB1 are closer to the 60 gm end of the spectrum.

I’m no AutoStrop expert, but when I checked the reference materials I concluded this was a VB1. The scale wavers between 69 and 70 grams. Despined Gem loaded.
68F955FF-AC41-41D7-81F0-F77891CB71C6.jpeg

A couple more views:
87C21B1C-056F-45D3-BC74-C1CE7F30FDF1.jpeg

EF807CDB-718C-434C-8239-33140B253622.jpeg

BC4A5137-D5D9-4E3B-862A-74F4292BEC8E.jpeg

Last edited:
I went back and reviewed this thread:

Looks like there were different handles sold within a model ID, so weights would vary. I think my VB1 has a heavier handle than some. I’m going to say that handle variations were more than minor.

Top Bottom