What's new

Valet and Auto Strop Razors

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've had a Valet VC4 in my collection for a long time but had never used it for two reasons. Firstly, it required a proprietary blade which I didn't have. Secondly, I wasn't interested in SE razors at the time I recieved it (a gift from my father in law).

Anyway, SE razors have recently opened a whole new world of this hobby I hadn't previously explored. After a handful of Gem and Ever-Ready razor shaves I was ready to try the Valet. After doing some research and finding that it accepted the FHS-10 blade I was ready to go. Following an excellent shave with it I was curious about Auto Strop and Valet razors and looked into them in the Safety Razor Compendium. I had no idea there was such variety available.

I got lucky and won a very well priced lot of eight Valet and Auto Strop razors on the bay. I now own 9 of them and have shaved with 3. Tonight's shave was the British VC2 and it was fantastic. Granted, I only have one shaves worth of experience with it but I may have a new favorite razor. The shave was mild in feel and yet very efficient. I don't see many people using Valet or Auto Strops very often on the boards, although I know they are around. I just wanted to give them a bit of praise and welcome anyone's comments about them.

Also, a special thanks to @Ron R who was able to provide some advice on adjusting the comb for an even more enjoyable shave. A few of them needed a small adjustment and his advice helped me correct the problems. Thank you sir!
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm glade it worked out for your bent combs on the razor and that is quite a nice collection of Valet Auto-strop razors.
Since I adjusted mine I really enjoy it and receive some very close shaves that are smooth and mostly weeper free.
It's hard to believe that the Valet Auto-strop was a big deal in the peak of safety razors evolution from 1900-30's until the great depression but a damper on luxuries of life styles.
Have some great shaves!

There is a lot of information on B&B regarding Auto-Strop, including a very comprehensive thread on the various models. Auto-Strop's founder, inventor Henry Jacques Gaisman, is quite an interesting study also. He forced Gillette to "merge" with Auto-Strop (it was actually Auto-Strop's takeover of Gillette, with Gaisman installed as Chairman of the Board). Valet razors were produced until the mid-1940s. Why Feather continues to produce the blade, and what other applications it may have in an industrial or lab setting, is unclear. Feather did produce a razor similar to the Auto Strop, but production on that ended long ago. Fantastic razors with a decidedly steampunk appeal.

Top Bottom