What's new

Vacuum Pot Technique

I've been really happy with my Chemex, but I see some type of vacuum pot in my future. It looks like its way too much fun to not have one.

Last edited:
JP,

I wouldn't consider that to be a "fine grind". The approach is more agitation to promote extraction. The intent is to extract as many aromatics as possible, and nothing else. (in a sense, a controlled under-extraction) The over-agitation encourages a little of the bitter components into the solution to balance our any "sour" notes due to the fast brew. It's a conservative (waste-wise) approach to the "Aroma method" first developed by Barismo.

If your grinder, at its coarsest setting, is making grinds that are too fine (I don't mean fines, I mean the average grind), you've got one of two problems:

1. Your grinder is way out of whack
2. Your perception of fine/coarse is way out of whack

I learned that #2 was true of me before I really took the plunge and got serious about making better coffee. There's no way they're producing drinkable cups of coffee with that short of an infusion time without using EXTREME over-dosing or at least a moderately fine grind. What you see in the video is likely chaff.

If your grinder, at its coarsest setting, is making grinds that are too fine (I don't mean fines, I mean the average grind), you've got one of two problems:

1. Your grinder is way out of whack
2. Your perception of fine/coarse is way out of whack

I learned that #2 was true of me before I really took the plunge and got serious about making better coffee. There's no way they're producing drinkable cups of coffee with that short of an infusion time without using EXTREME over-dosing or at least a moderately fine grind. What you see in the video is likely chaff.
Extreme overdosing seems to be the norm ever since the Clover came onto the scene years ago. I'm fairly certain that they are overdosing as well.

I should also add that I know Chris (the guy in the first video), and if you're that interested, I'm sure I could find out for you.

I would repeat exactly as before, just add the grinds after the water has moved to the top chamber and see how it goes.

That may have done the trick as I made a great pot this AM. Some repeatability will tell if I finally hit on the right technique or if this was simply one of those occasional successes I had been getting anyway.

• Making six cups out of eight.
  • Coarsest possible grind.
  • Boil water in lower pot only.
  • Once boiling, install *empty* top chamber (empty except for cory rod). Water rises almost instantly.
  • Dump in grounds and stir.
  • Let steep for about 45 seconds. I screwed up the timing on this so don't know the exact time.
  • Remove from heat.
  • Only about one minute to siphon down. Again, guessing at the time, but it was fast.

I have a Vintage Cory Brand Vac pot, and I heat the water in a kettle then pour the hot water into the bottom vessel, put the top on, pour the grinds in and then put the whole contraption back on the heat and let it go from there.

Re-reading this, I see it is basically what I have done for my good results, only I leave it on the stove (now turned way down) while adding the grinds.

I have a Cona and the first thing I can tell you is if you live in High Altitude vacuum coffee makers are adversely affected. The higher you go the worse it gets. I wound up ditching the spirit lamp and buying a butane burner.

I have a Cona and the first thing I can tell you is if you live in High Altitude vacuum coffee makers are adversely affected. The higher you go the worse it gets. I wound up ditching the spirit lamp and buying a butane burner.

Google Earth says I'm at 992 feet.

Well, 2nd time didn't go so well. As far as I can tell, everything was done exactly the same as last time with one exception: a different bean.

It stalled at about 4 out of 6 cups. A wet dishcloth got it to 5 cups but that was as far as it went. Perhaps some beans are more prone to creating dust in the grinding process.

The coffee I did get was AOK.

Will try the "working" bean again to see if I can build up a case for the "beans-make-a-difference" theory.

this thread has been helpful, i was adding beans before the water went into the top and not stirring. I found the prep in this thread makes a more potent brew and less prone to mistakes.

always find the information on B&B most helpful

chris

Humor me, since you're pretty much getting wild and crazy results anyway, and try it at a grind setting right in the middle of your grind range.

You're not using decafe are you? Decafe can be a real problem in a vacuum no matter how coarse the grind. Or at least that's what I've found. Maybe the altitude thing again. I'm at 5400 feet.

I keep hearing from the OP that there are fines and that even at the coarser settings it looks finer than it ought to be compared with others. I know getting beans ground at the point of purchase isn't ideal but I think its worth it just to eliminate the variable as a problem. Its what I would do, especially as he mentioned how tight things were fitting a couple of posts back. It seems to indicate a lot of vacuum.

I keep hearing from the OP that there are fines and that even at the coarser settings it looks finer than it ought to be compared with others. I know getting beans ground at the point of purchase isn't ideal but I think its worth it just to eliminate the variable as a problem. Its what I would do, especially as he mentioned how tight things were fitting a couple of posts back. It seems to indicate a lot of vacuum.

Excellent idea! You think a drip grind is about right? Perk grind? I think that's how those store machines are marked.

I did do an experiment this AM. I ran through the process with NO grinds and the draw down was fast, evenly paced, complete, and with a fairly dramatic display of bubbling at the end. So I think I've got everything except the grind mastered.

If it has the option I'd go right between the auto drip and Perk, It's been a good while since I've used one but I think that is possible.

If you go to a decent coffee shop they should know what settings work best on their machine for vacuum pot brewing.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I am having better results now!

• First, I let the water simmer a bit (60 secs) after all the water went "north" and before adding the coffee. My theory is that the gas inside the pot needs to be water vapor, not plain old hot-air. Otherwise, what's to condense after the pot is off the heat? Give the simmering an extra 60 secs to blow out all the air.

• Next, Using a coarser grind has helped. I also didn't knock the last bit of grounds out of the holder. Just used what dumped out w/o any extra encouragement. I think this might have held back some fines due to static.

• Finally, I took jwhite's suggestion and got a sample grind at the store. Used for my two most recent pots. This worked well. Since my sample is now used up I will see if I continue to get good results, or if things regress. (Took me a while to get to this since my car was in the shop for 5 days.)

Top Bottom